Piwik + Flowplayer HOWTO

Hello everyone,
Here’s a quick HOWTO about tracking flowplayer video-clips with piwik. It’s easy to do and it may come in handy to somebody:

Flowplayer is free even for commercial use, it’s highly adjustable and nice looking.
To track video-clip actions you need to use manual type of goals. I’ll assume you have two:

• Video clip started (goal id = 1)
  • Video clip has been finished (goal id = 2)
Here's a code to add flowplayer to your site:
<head>
<script src="/flowplayer/flowplayer-3.2.4.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</head>
<body>
        <!-- this A tag is where your Flowplayer will be placed. it can be anywhere -->
        <a  
             href="path to your clip"  
             style="display:block;width:520px;height:330px"  
             id="player"> 
        </a>

<!-- Here we configure flowplayer and do some goal tracking! -->
        <script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
            flowplayer("player", "/flowplayer/flowplayer-3.2.5.swf",{
                clip:{
                    url: '/flowplayer/videoclip.flv',
                    onStart: function() { piwikTracker.trackGoal(1); },  // track goal no. 1
                    onFinish: function() { this.stop(); piwikTracker.trackGoal(2); }, // track goal no. 2
                    autoPlay: false, // do not auto start playing
                    autoBuffering: true, // auto buffering
                    scaling: 'orig' // by default flowplayer changes aspect ratio in full-screen mode. this option prevents this behavior
                }
            });
        // ]]></script>
</body>

Hope this will help someone.

Thanks.

BTW I think you need a mod to record the second goal.

No problem! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

But what mod are you referring to?
It should work the way it’s posted. I use this code in my own site and it does work properly (except for my link to the video clip looks a bit different).

We now have a Media Analytics plugin that tracks Videos & Audio!

More information is available here: http://www.media-analytics.net/ The plugin gives useful insights into media / video / audio analytics and adds many new reports, widgets and segments to Piwik.

Works with HTML5 video & audio, Vimeo and YouTube out of the box. Support for other players can be added easily and is documented in the developer docs. We are also happy to add support for more players upon request, please ping us. After installation the plugin will in most cases directly start tracking data see the setup guide

For a full list of features check out https://plugins.piwik.org/MediaAnalytics . Docs are available at FAQ, User Guide, Developer docs