Piwik Database Upgrade on Backend

We typically use the “Upgrade Piwik” button to upgrade the DB but as we got preprod stable we determined the database is just too large on production to use the same method. Since Piwik is not installed on the DB…what do you recommend we do to update? Can we put index.php onto the DB server and just run the command?..We did try executing the SQL queries that were listed and all of them failed…Once we have the answer and it works I think it would be helpful for you guys to add it to the documentation for Large architectures.

Thanks-

To upgrade a large Piwik install, you should use the Command line shell update as explained in: Update Piwik - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Yeah, no worries I have seen that. My question is Piwik would not be installed on the DB so is it okay to put ONLY the index.php file onto the DB server and run the command?

Of course you have to put ALL Piwik files, config files, etc. Piwik always needs all files !

Well not if the server is solely a DB server, it wouldn’t run piwik at all…You would not want this below the load balancer