Piwik Archiving-PHP-Problems for the umpteenth time

Hello,

I updated Piwik from 1.7.1 to 1.8.2 today and changed my archiving-cron-job from the usage of archive.sh to archive.php.

Now, if I execute the archive.php manually or via cronjob I get error-messages in the piwik-error-log:

[Tue Jun 05 14:05:10 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 805306368 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker ‘xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’, file ‘/PIWIKPATH/core/Piwik.php’, line 1013)
[Tue Jun 05 14:05:11 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 805306368 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker ‘xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’, file ‘/PIWIKPATH/core/Piwik.php’, line 1013)
[Tue Jun 05 14:05:11 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 805306368 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker ‘xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’, file ‘/PIWIKPATH/core/Piwik.php’, line 1013)

and

[Tue Jun 05 15:29:36 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 805306368 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker ‘xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’, file ‘/PIWIKPATH/core/Piwik.php’, line 1023)
[Tue Jun 05 15:29:36 2012] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 805306368 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker ‘xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx’, file ‘/PIWIKPATH/core/Piwik.php’, line 1023)

The script-output itself does not show any errors. So I’m not sure, if the archiving works like expected or if there is any error-state left.

The old script archive.sh did not show this error when executed via cli or cron-job. (But the old script did show memory-limit exceeded from time to time.)

Any idea, how I can trace this down?

Best regards,

Rikky

Please ask your web host to remove this security if he can!

Hi Matt,

we have no Web Hoster. Which security shall I remove? (I’m not the php-expert… :slight_smile:

Rikky

We are running PHP 5.2.6. with the Suhosin extension loaded and Suhosin patch applied against the PHP core.

I set the php_value memory_limit 512M as we got problem with the default value of 128 MB in earlier Piwik-Versions. Are there any guidelines how the php-runtime-environment should be configured for 1.8.2?

Rikky

Actually the archiving script is trying to set memmory to 768 so either set
[General]
minimum_memory_limit_when_archiving=512

in config/config.ini.php or increase memory limit a bit

Hi Matt,

thanks for your support!

So, I understand I have two options:

I set php_value memory_limit 512M for the runtime
and than I have to set Piwik to
[General]
minimum_memory_limit_when_archiving=512

I set php_value memory_limit 768M for the runtime
and than I have to set Piwik to
[General]
minimum_memory_limit_when_archiving=768

Both ways should work without any errors or warnings. Is this correct?

Rikky

Hopefully, if 512 is not enough then 768 (and sometimes evern more for some users…) is required!

Hi Matt,

that did the trick. Piwik auto-archiving is now running for the first time without issues on our site!

Thank you very much for your support!

Rikky