I mentioned many times here problems with ovh hosting and piwik.
Mainly after 1.4 update.
However, two weeks ago, I could see Piwik working correctly on 5 out of 6 of my hostings, one being stucked with no solution either from this forum or from OVH assistance.
But now, all of six are unusable. Won’t load more than 3 widgets…
(Tried 1.7-b8, also.)
I only noticed it mid-january, when I had done some maintenance on my site and upgraded to Piwik 1.6 (since then, I’ve tried 1.7-b9 to no avail), so I immediately accused the new version of Piwik.
But the problem may have been there for a while (with 1.5) and I was just not paying attention.
1.5 had been working just fine on my OVH hosting before, but it may be that OVH has changed some settings/imposed some limitations lately, that are interfering with Piwik.
“Roosevelt’s” “won’t load more than 3 widgets” is coherent with my recent experience (actually, only 1 or 2 widgets come up for me), and could well be linked to some safety limitation at OVH (number of concurrent SQL queries, max elapsed execution time for a php script, …)
I can’t try the auto-archiving, as crons are not supported on the 60gp OVH hosting package.
I may try later this week-end to revert to Piwik 1.5, just to see if that still works.
Report from the front lines: in my (limited) experience, 1.5 is still OK on OVH, whereas 1.6 and 1.7-b9 aren’t.
I have sent a query to OVH via their support email (haven’t opened a ticket, as they warn you sternly that they’ll charge 20€ if their problem determination assigns the blame to somebody else. Nice way to avoid ticket-opening… :X
I have reported my observations, and suggested they look into it as it would be damageable to everybody (read: including OVH) that we’d be left with a statement like “OVH hosting doesn’t support Piwik”.
Anyway, I’ll keep you informed of their feedback if any.
Nous vous conseillons la création d’un incident dans votre Manager Ovh, dans la section Contacter le support -> Déclarer un incident.
Vous avez également la possibilité de téléphoner au 09.74.53.13.23 (au coût d’un appel local) afin de déclarer un incident par téléphone.
Le support incident pourra ainsi corriger votre problème.
Je reste à votre disposition pour toute demande complémentaire.
Cordialement,le support ovh.
As I half-expected, they won’t look at it unless I open a ticket. And as said, if I do open a ticket, I think I run 90% chances that they cast the blame on Piwik, claiming it has onerous behaviour that is rightfully prohibited by their usage policies, and should be corrected… and want to charge me 20€ for this “problem determination”.
I apologize, but I can’t afford that just for the pleasure of being proven right (right in expecting them to want to charge 20€, a bitter victory).
Interesting. This should be reported to the OVH forum, then, since it points probably to a difficulty/limitation in accessing the filesystem, instead of database connections which seemed to be the likely culprit so far…
It turns out many people confirm that changing to DB sessions fixes the problem.
And a non-Piwik OVH user reports losing session variables recently on OVH servers. It seems something has changed in january in mutualized servers shared filesystems, that may generate this kind of problems.
I’ll try tonight to migrate again to 1.6 and verify that changing to DB sessions fixes it for me too.