Php ini_set requirement

Hello, I recently had some trouble with matomo updating php to 7.1. This was caused by ini_set being disabled for security reasons by default, which was a little tricky to convince the server admin to re-enable. Trying to enabled it in your own php.ini as the error message suggests usually doesn’t work if it has been disabled at a higher level.

So the first thing I guess I’d ask is why do you require ini_set priviliges? There’s a reason why this is not allowed on some servers, and it just seems it would avoid a lot of problems if you could get around it?

Also, I’m guessing matomo was supposed to show a nice error message about this, when it failed to load. But instead this php message error was logged. So I’m guessing something went wrong in handling this error:

[06-Aug-2019 12:49:52 UTC] Error in Matomo: Matomo and Zend_Session require the ini_set() function It appears your PHP has disabled this function. To enjoy Matomo, you need remove ini_set from your disable_functions directive in php.ini, and restart your webserver.
[06-Aug-2019 12:49:52 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class ‘Piwik\SettingsServer’ not found in /home/lostmind/public_html/piwik/core/testMinimumPhpVersion.php:87
Stack trace:
#0 /home/lostmind/public_html/piwik/core/testMinimumPhpVersion.php(175): Piwik_ShouldPrintBackTraceWithMessage()
#1 /home/lostmind/public_html/piwik/core/testMinimumPhpVersion.php(194): Piwik_GetErrorMessagePage(’<p><strong>Mato…’, false, ‘<ul>\n …’)
#2 /home/lostmind/public_html/piwik/core/bootstrap.php(30): require_once(’/home/lostmind/…’)
#3 /home/lostmind/public_html/piwik/piwik.php(32): require_once(’/home/lostmind/…’)
#4 {main}
thrown in /home/lostmind/public_html/piwik/core/testMinimumPhpVersion.php on line 87