.php file names

My ISP uses a Zeus server and supports both PHP4 and PHP5.
They state “files with suffix ‘.php’ are served using PHP4, to serve files with PHP5 use a suffix ‘.php5’”

OK - I could reasonably easily rename all files to have .php5 suffix - but I guess this would cause problems with URLs embedded in the code

Anyone got any suggestions??

google for php5 and .htaccess

You also can try this in your .htaccess

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

Zeus doesnt have full .htaccess features
but I’ll give it a try - thanks guys

trie the .htaccess redirect - screwed other things up as other PHP code isnt PHP5 compatible and this redcirected ALL php to PHP5

Instead went down the original route
renamed all .php files to .php5
did a global replace of ‘.php’ strings contained in all files to ‘.php5’

that seems to work - but only time will tell
I expect some references to offsite links will fail if they contained the ‘.php’ string
I will fix them as they crop up

Allan

While there were two php 4.x releases in 2008 to roll-up various bug fixes, technically, the end-of-life for php 4 was December 31, 2007. You really should consider migrating any php4 dependent applications over to php5.

agreed - code I develop myself is checked for compatibility with 4 and 5.
However when applications are externally sourced, such as piwik, one is dependant on the original authors making updates available.
Also when ISPs such as the one we use still insist that PHP5 is a minority and make its use difficult, as in this case, there isn’t a lot of incentive.
One has to work with the tools one is provided with - whilst looking whistfully through the shop window at the new tools

[quote=tsrwebmanager @ Jan 4 2009, 04:57 PM]agreed - code I develop myself is checked for compatibility with 4 and 5.
However when applications are externally sourced, such as piwik, one is dependant on the original authors making updates available.
Also when ISPs such as the one we use still insist that PHP5 is a minority and make its use difficult, as in this case, there isn’t a lot of incentive.
One has to work with the tools one is provided with - whilst looking whistfully through the shop window at the new tools[/quote]

Hey Tsrwebmanager,

If you want to try it out, you get can a free account on my server. Just sign up in the link in my signature.

Cheers…

[quote=branica @ Jan 5 2009, 05:26 AM]Hey Tsrwebmanager,

If you want to try it out, you get can a free account on my server. Just sign up in the link in my signature.

Cheers…[/quote]
Thanks for that - however I managed to persuade my ISP to move my service onto a server with PHP5 as default - alls up and running

Great to hear and that is nice service from your ISP!