Opt-out in statistics

Hello community,

I have a question regarding the opt-out-function. By activating the opt-out-function a user would not be tracked anymore. Nevertheless there is this heuristic which uses the IP and other personal data to recognize returnig visitors, right?

If this is true, I observed a behaviour which does not fit. Imagine following scenario:

A visitor visits a website in the morning. He then activates the opt-out-function about noon. In the afternoon he visits the website again. There is no other visitor. The returning visitor is not recorded as a returning visitor, allthough in my understanding he should have been.

Can someone please help me recognizing my error in reasoning? What is the purpose of the heuristic? Can a visitor that has been classified as a returning visitor by that heuristic be seen in the statistics?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
al_pacin0

Hi there,

Nevertheless there is this heuristic which uses the IP and other personal data to recognize returnig visitors, right?

if user opts-out then the user will not be tracked so the heuristics will not apply.

Great, thank you!