Oops… problem during the request, please try again

I’ve found a few posts related to this issue, but nothing I try fixes the problem. After logging in, I receive the request problem during the request error, then nothing loads, not even the CSS (see attached).

The real problem is that my memory limit [512MB] is being exceeded with my hosting provider every time I access Piwik (1.4), and then they further restrict my memory limit for a period of 24 hours. So I’m not sure if the changes I am making will end up fixing the problem once the memory restriction is lifted.

My main question is: why does running Piwik spike my server’s memory usage to it’s limit [512MB]?

Hoster is running CloudLinux and PHP 5.2.9. After upping memory_limit in php.ini from 64MB to 128MB, max_execution_time from 30 to 300, it loads a lot better than it was, but still not loading most widgets (see attached). I also added [Debug]
disable_merged_assets = 1 to config.ini.php, but it made no difference. Also cleared tmp/assets and tmp/

Error Log:
File does not exist: /home/domain/public_html/500.shtml, referer: http://domain.ca/piwik/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=1&period=day&date=2011-10-05
(12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn’t create child process: /opt/suphp/sbin/suphp for /home/domain/public_html/piwik/index.php, referer: http://domain.ca/piwik/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=1&period=day&date=2011-10-05
I get the same error when I access the phpinfo.php file I created on my server. I called the hoster but they told me to email support, which I have but will have to wait for a reply.
I also attached the piwik error log.

Do I have to find another hosting provider in order to get this to work? Any suggestions would be helpful :slight_smile:

Bob

It sounds like apache is lacking some memory? (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process - Google Search

Maybe try a different provider, 500 MB should NOT be an issue for any serious web host :slight_smile:

how many pages do you track per day?>

I guess I just don’t understand why normal daily memory usage is around 0K-300K then on the days that I access Piwik, it jumps to 512MB. Why the jump from 200K to 512MB, this is a huge leap, is this normal?

I then get the restrictions applied to my account… The hosting provider is GreenGeeks. From the hoster: “If you see an 500 error appear randomly, this is because our system is limiting you for exceeding your memory limit.”

I will take a look through the Google results you provided, they look promising. Thanks,
Bob

I should mention I am running Piwik 1.4 on several other domains with a different (local) host and it works great. I don’t know what the memory limit is for this host…

You must setup the cron as explained in : How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo
for better performance

Yes, I did this, set for once an hour. Still have the same problem, and Piwik still limits my memory resources each time I visit access it. I guess I will just have to access it less, maybe once a month. Still confused as to why running Piwik takes a minimum of 512MB of ram to run on this server.

Thanks for your help.
Bob

It should do anything if you have disabled “browser trigger archiving” as per instructions in: How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Thank you very much