On which page does an event take place?

Hello all,
I’ve been searching for a long time, but I just can’t find the right solution.
It’s about assigning events in the evaluation to a single page.

For example:
We have set up scrolltracking among other things. Now we want to examine a certain page and see how far on this page was scrolled.

Or:
We have the “Apply Now” button on several job listing pages. I track clicks on buttons with the click text “Apply now”. But where do I see on which page the button was clicked?

I haven’t set this up yet, but I think it will be difficult too:
I want to track the events “Start” and “Duration” for videos. Where can I evaluate which video has run for how long?

I only ever see how many times an event was triggered. But I can never assign it to single pages, only how often it happened in total.
Do I have to name the event differently for each page? That would be totally confusing.

Do you have any solutions or best practices?

Thank you!

@mln_itx a Matomo event is made up of 3 levels of taxonomy: Event Category, Event Action and Event Name.

The data you use to populate either one of these 3 is entirely up to you. I generally like to populate “Event Name” with {{Page URL}} when I implement the event using GTM, as it’s a built-in variable. Retrieving the page URL and creating your own variable is straightforward if you use JS along the lines of location.href (this retrieves the full URL of the page).

Once the implementation was handled, you can view the data under Behaviour > Events > Event Name.

Alternatively, you can use Matomo’s own Event URL if you have the Custom Reports plugin available on your Matomo installation, however, if you have a Single Page Application, then Event URL isn’t nearly as accurate as capturing the Page URL when the event itself takes place.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need any further clarifications.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
I will try using {{Page URL}} in my Event Name.

No worries @mln_itx , happy to help!

1 Like