Occasional session problem (maybe?)

Sometimes it gives me a full-screen or inside a widget the following error:

session_start() [function.session-start]: ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/shared/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) 
in '/mounted-storage/home106c/sub008/sc63800-BVTO/www/piwik/index.php' at the line 43

#0  Piwik_ErrorHandler(8, session_start() [function.session-start]: ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/shared/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13), /mounted-storage/home106c/sub008/sc63800-BVTO/www/piwik/index.php, 43, ................................................................................
.....................lots of codes...........................................................................
#1  session_start() called at [/mounted-storage/home106c/sub008/sc63800-BVTO/www/piwik/index.php:43]

It goes away with a click of the reload page button but… should I worry?

BTW, This software ROCKS!

I’ve already translated in GREEK (99%)

George

Hi,

I’d suggest contacting your host about this issue. It sounds like a php/apache configuration issue rather than anything specific with piwik. PHP needs to write to a certain ocation when using file based session handling.

Since I’m no expert in the field, I’d say it looks like that the software is using some global session handler rather than creating and using it’s own. Maybe it’s a clutter for database or for php memory or it requires extensive programming instead of what demands a real-time lightweight plug-able interface but… I don’t know, just saying. I wish I could dig more for any answer.

Also, I noticed statistics demand for traffic is a lot higher than Google’s analytics. I’ll keep an eye for this and get back hopefully with numbers.

Later…
George

Hi,

Your PHP is configured to use file based sessions and is trying to save session data in /shared/sessions which is not writable by the webserver.
This is a common configuration issue for PHP, by default it should just work and most hosts have it configured fine however there is a permissions issue on your setup.
http://support.ultimatelocator.com/index.p…;kbarticleid=60
http://www.google.com/search?q=php+session…ssion+denied%22

No matter what is being used, anytime ‘session_start’ is called on your server the function will fail due to this configuration/permissions issue

I’m testing with .htaccess directive

php_value session.save_path '/---full path to a writable yet non public folder---'

and it looks better now. I asked my host but have no answer yet.

I think it’s a good time for the team to create a generic .htaccess with useful comments and commands, mainly for the purpose of security.
Maybe a performance enhancement will arise with good use of that…

Many thanks to acoupland for pointing me to the right direction!
George

[my Greekglish!]