Not tracking GeoIP properly?

Hey Piwikers,

I’m using both Google Analytics and piwik, and seeing a problem with tracked users: Google Analytics is showing that most of my users are from Canada (Which makes sense, groupdudes.com is located in Toronto/Ontario/Canada), and that’s where all our advertising is. However, piwik is telling me most are from the US, as well as some from the UK, and others unknown.

The screen shots were both taken on August the 9th.

Both track about 1350~ hits, so I’m not too concerned about that. I’m just trying to figure out where all my potential clients are coming from. Is piwik using a different GeoIP lookup database?

http://piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/#faq_65

Thanks for the response. Set enable_language_to_country_guess = 0, just installed GeoIP, downloaded the GeoLiteCity.dat file, and enabled the plugin… We’ll see what happenes tomorrow.

Uh oh. As soon as I enabled the plugin, then went to click on the Settings > Plugins page again, it just redirects straight to the dashboard…did I do something wrong?

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.