No data being collected?

Hi, I’ve been handed an existing Piwik installation that has been running happily for years with no intervention.

I’m completely new to Piwik, and have only started educating myself on webserver maintenance.

From what I can tell, Piwik stopped gathering stats on March 6, 2018. MySQL is running, various MySQL files seem to be getting modified as shown by file modified dates at the OS level.

Reports for date ranges after March show “no data to report”. Earlier date ranges give reasonable results.

I don’t know of any significant changes made to our webserver.

This is the version we are currently showing, from piwik.php:

• @version $Id: piwik.php 7286 2012-10-23 09:22:19Z matt $

The web control panel shows an update is available, what would be the hazards of applying that?

Let me know what details I can provide.

Regards,

Chris

Hi,

updating Matomo is probably a good idea, but I’d solve the no-data-issue first.

You can check the php error_log to check if there is any kind of server-side error.

And you can check the integration into your website by opening it, checking the console in the browsers developer tools for errors, checking the piwik.php and piwik.js request in the network tab and enabling debugging

I’m not having much luck finding the php error log. Is there a typical location for IIS installations?

I don’t see any reference to piwik in the browser developer tools (Firefox) networking tab,

I’ll look at the debugging information, seems a bit hazardous to have running, at first glance.

Hi,

I can’t help with IIS, but if you want, you can send me the URL so I check if the tracking code is integrated correctly.

I appreciate the help.

Please see http://www.lcmoneysaver.com.

I believe the pages all should have the included code.

Found the php log file.

I’m beginning to think it’s more a php issue than a piwik issue.

The log is full of errors like this:

[06-Mar-2018 20:06:51] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext\php_wincache.dll’ - The specified module could not be found.
in Unknown on line 0
[03-May-2018 13:17:30] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext\php_wincache.dll’ - The specified module could not be found.
in Unknown on line 0

Those are the last two lines! Nothing written between Mar 6 and May 3?

Then, the last reference to piwik was this (I cannot account for the Mar 7 date):

[07-Mar-2018 03:32:23] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in D:\inetpub\wwwroot\piwik\core\DataTable.php on line 1059

The log file was 625MB. I’ve renamed it out of the way, to start a new, more easily digestible file.

Ok, found one issue, the scheduled task (Windows analog to cron) was failing to launch. Fixed that issue.

On the dashboard, there is now a non-flat graph for visits over time for the range 4/1/2018 to 4/30/2018, but the frequency overview is still showing zeros.

Will those get updated as the archive process proceeds? (MySqlD seems quite busy, averaging 20-30% of CPU.

1 Like

Changing the Scheduled Task’s user seems to have brought things back to life.

I’ve received what seems to be a valid email report for April.

I’ll see what the dashboard looks like tomorrow and give a follow-up report.

1 Like

Ok, making good progress. Now getting populated reports for recent months, except for March. The summary graph shows activity, but the frequency overview is all 0’s. February, April and May all show activity.

What to fix next?

Well, changing the date range from ending on March 31 to ending on March 30 got me results.

I can live with that.