New installation -- can't make sense of error message

New installation, first time.

After the “Welcome” page, I click “Next” and I get the following:

Fatal error: Function __autoload(xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) threw an exception of type ‘Exception’ in /home/webusers/xxxx/xxxxxxxx.xxx/www/piwik/core/Db.php on line 76

No idea what is the problem with this kind of cryptic error message. Any idea?

That’s a new one for me. PM your phpinfo() to me and I’ll take a look.

Ok, I reinstalled the whole thing, and now it worked fine (I ceased using Frontpage – can’t tell if this was the problem) until I completed all the steps successfully, I clicked “Start collect stats” (or something like that), and got this message:

“There was a problem installing the plugin Example Feedburner: Mysqli prepare error: This command is not supported in the prepared statement protocol yet If this plugin has already been installed, and if you want to hide this message, you must add the following line under the [PluginsInstalled] entry in your config/config.ini.php file: PluginsInstalled = ExampleFeedburner
Fatal error: Class ‘Piwik_Login_Controller’ not found in /home/webusers/x/x/www/piwik/core/FrontController.php on line 133

Searching on the web, I couldn’t find any reference to this error… I get this each time I go in the piwik folder.

Edit: Alright, for the last part of the message, found out the FrontController.php file was 0 bytes for whatever reason. Still have the FeedBurner error message though.

In config/config.ini.php, try changing the adapter from MYSQLI to PDO_MYSQL.

Actually found out that another plugins/SiteManager/Controller.php file was also empty – some glitch from Filezilla, I don’t know. Sorry about this, nothing to do with Piwik.

So now I have the Piwik dashboard running and all, only problem, overnight no visits are reported so far. I know for a fact that there has been visits to my site. If I look at piwik_log_visit, the table is empty. The only log table for which there are data is piwik_log_action. All piwik_logger_* tables are empty, so no hint as to what is not working.

(I’m liking this thing so far, I really wish to make it work, nice to know we don’t have to rely on a commercial party to manage our own stats.)

Edit: I should have mentioned too that I don’t have access to server settings, in case that matters.

Edit2: I activated DBstats plugin – and when I go to the tab “Database usage”, I get “Mysqli prepare error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘?’ at line 1”. Sigh.

Edit3: Ok I replaced MYSQLI with PDO_MYSQL as suggested above, and now the Database usage tab display properly. I can confirm that only piwik_log_action and piwik_log_link_visit_action contains data. Is this normal behavior? When should I expect the Dashboard to display anything at all (currently it displays all empty despite Piwik having been running overnight.)

check out http://piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/#faq_58