Multiple Goals for same IP

(cornishpirate) #1

I’m using piwikTracker.trackGoal to get the value of my ecommerce sales.

Yesterday, the same customer (=same IP) made 2 purchases within minutes of each other.

Piwik did not record the second transaction / Goal.

Is this deliberate? Is there a way around it?

(jstock) #2

This is done deliberately, if you look at the piwik_log_conversion table there is a primary index of idvisit,idgoal.
Because of this for each visit that a user makes to your site there can only be one conversion for each goal that you have setup.

(cornishpirate) #3

[quote=jstock @ Aug 25 2010, 02:12 PM]This is done deliberately, if you look at the piwik_log_conversion table there is a primary index of idvisit,idgoal.
Because of this for each visit that a user makes to your site there can only be one conversion for each goal that you have setup.[/quote]
Thanks, I guessed as much.

However, I would argue that if I tell Piwik (with trackGoal) that it’s a Goal, then it IS a Goal!!

(jstock) #4

I wanted the goals to be tracked as many times as they happened for each visitor.
I therefore added the server_time field to the primary key of the piwik_log_conversion table.
Now goal conversions are alway tracked on my system

(cornishpirate) #5

Thanks. That’s great.

Implemented that.

This ought either to be standard or an option.

(jstock) #6

I think an option would be a good idea, however every Analytics package that I have looked at handle the Goal Conversion the way that Piwik does.

(vipsoft) #7

Changing the index isn’t currently supported because it will skew the conversion ratio.

(cornishpirate) #8

Ok, but I’d like to repeat the main issue: that if I use trackGoal to specify a Goal, it IS a Goal and Piwik shouldn’t take it upon itself to decide that it isn’t !!

(Matthieu Aubry) #9

I added the feature request in the list at http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1434

(cornishpirate) #10

Thank you - good news.

(noisyrabbit) #11

This is definitely necessary.

(cornishpirate) #12

Another benefit of this:

I want to set a Goal, including value, whenever someone adds a product to their shopping basket. Most of my customers add more than 1 product.

This will let me analyse what sales values actually get checked out.

A really important statistic.