More visists than pageviews - how is this possible?

today my matomo shows this:

I’ve never seen more visits than pageviews on 17 sites in over 5 years. How ist that even possible? Or better: what’s possibly wrong with my matomo?

Does your website have a CDN?

Yes, you are right. It now does. So it is some kind of caching artefact? I also get lower than expexted numbers now. Could this also be becuase of the CDN?

Yes to both. I use a CDN as well, and my pageviews on my Web servers are laughably low. But this is a good thing, it means my CDN (and yours) are doing what they are supposed to do.
If you really want to track pageviews, you can download your access logs from your CDN and feed them into matomo. Assuming the log format is similar to what matomo expects etc…
EDIT: CDN shouldn’t affect your visits though. Just your pageviews. Unless you’ve set up your CDN differently…

bumping this because suddenly it changed…

After months with weirdly more visits than pageviews, on August 5th it changed back. and we dont know why…

(blue: visits, orange: PV)

Was anything fixed related to this problem with last update? (we are running 4.11)

EDIT: some additional info

• the weird behavior (more visits than PV) started before we enabled CDN. and it ended while CDN was still active.
  • we use the default tracking code plus one tag manager container recording only one event.
  • i can see in the visitor log that some seesions were “splitted”: one PV would give 2 visits, one with the PV and one with an event. same IP, same timestamp. → this was obviously the problem. never managed to fix this. it was fixed August 5th.

Sorry, I don’t understand why?

About the higher number of visits than pageviews, I think it can be possible for Matomo to just track events (Category+Action+Label), but no pageviews… In this case, you’ll get some visits but no pageview…