Migrating from one server to another

I’m looking to move my Piwik install from one server to another. Looking at the guidance given at Installation - Analytics Platform - Matomo, we’re advised that we just need to export the current dataset and and import it into another database, amend the Piwik tracking code and away we go. This is all fine but the thing that does bother me is that there will be some downtime in the recording of stats while the migration is being performed. I am wondering if there is a way to avoid this and what I am thinking is to perform the following steps:

1. Create a new Piwik install on a new server and transfer across files and data.
  2. Amend DNS (in my case, I am using a subdomain for my Piwik install) and await for the new installation to start tracking traffic.
  3. Merge any data that was recorded on the old Piwik installation that did not make it to the new installation.

The last step is where I need some help. Looking at the database, I am thinking at piwik_log_visit will be one table to look at but I do wonder if any other tables are added to or amended at “visit time” (i.e. when Piwik is tracking) and so I would need to look at the differences in the tables and upload the differences?

Has anyone got around the “black hole” which is downtime when it comes to migrating Piwik?

Hello,

did you find a solution to this problem?
I’d like to do that as well.