Matomo Upgrade 4.0.0-b1 failed

Hello,
our upgrade (3.14.1 --> 4.0.0) failed after 40 minutes and now we can’t login anymore. The upgrade failed at:

ALTER TABLE piwik_log_link_visit_action ADD COLUMN search_cat VARCHAR(200) NULL, ADD COLUMN search_count INTEGER(10) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN time_dom_completion MEDIUMINT(10) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN time_dom_processing MEDIUMINT(10) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN time_network MEDIUMINT(10) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN time_on_load MEDIUMINT(10) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN time_server MEDIUMINT(10) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN time_transfer MEDIUMINT(10) UNSIGNED NULL;

System: php 7.4, MariaDB 10.1.31. (INNO)

Error:
The error was: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1034 Incorrect key file for table ‘piwik_log_link_visit_action’; try to repair it

ERROR [2020-12-08 13:02:39] 43651 Uncaught exception: /srv/www/htdocs/XXXXXX/web/plugins/CoreUpdater/Commands/Update.php(255): Matomo could not be updated! See above for more information.

We tried:
We’ve changed the size of our temp-folder in the DB to 512 M and increased our max_execution_time to 86400.

Any help would be appreciated because I have no idea how to proceed.

Hi,

The error is coming from your MariaDB server and while I am no database expert I found this:

Every Time this has happened, it’s been a full disk in my experience.

EDIT

It is also worth noting that this can be caused by a full ramdisk when doing things like altering a large table if you have a ramdisk configured. You can temporarily comment out the ramdisk line to allow such operations if you can’t increase the size of it.
https://stackoverflow.com/a/8434535/4398037

1 Like

I had that and it came thru a blocked IP.
After using VPN it worked. To Update the DB use the offered command line. Takes its times but works like a charm.

I used the command line on the shell of the Matomo server/DB server
/usr/local/php7.4/bin/php /srv/www/htdocs/XXXXX/web/console core:update

It worked fine until the “Alter TABLE …” statement I mentioned above.

I just got the info that the size of our table “piwik_log_link_visit_action” ist 44 GB. This seems REALLY BIG to me. Is there any chance to reduce this size - maybe temporarily? We’ve got a backup of this table. (We’re having a large website (~ 40.000 pages) but is this normal?)