Large On-Prem Environment API's Timeout/Fail

We have an On-Prem Matomo instance that is tracking ~2500 websites. We are running Matomo 4.14.2 currently but have been experiencing this issue with several previous versions as well.

PHP: 8.1.21
MySQL: 8.0.34
NGinX: 1.24.0

Database is large: 210 G of space

We have a call to the Matomo API from our platform to create new sites when requested for tracking and it just times out and never completes. We also have other API calls to purge sites if we purge them from our systems and it appears those will timeout as well.

Thinking maybe the database as a whole needs some indexing put into place to help queries for these API calls to run smoother?

We do have the system set to also delete old raw data older than 30 days, but I’m unsure that actually is running successfully at this point.

Overall, site traffic is very high. Averaging just under 4 million page views a day during the week and around 2 million on weekends that we are tracking.

I’m curious if there are any other on-prem users out there that have large traffic like this that can maybe help with any database optimizations or anything?

Thanks
Grant

Anyone have any thoughts here? We can’t even run the addsite api call as it times out at 60 seconds…

Hi,
did you follow the steps from here? https://matomo.org/faq/new-to-piwik/faq_137/
In my opinion, PHP should receive 16GB of memory.
The max_allowed_packet parameter for MySQL should also be at least 1GB if not 4GB.

Try also this hint with &filter_offset=: https://matomo.org/faq/how-to/faq_24536/

1 Like

Hi @Grant_Griffith
How many servers do you run? Is there also any server dedicated to the database?
For the timeout in site creation, I don’t really understand, as this should not need much resources…:thinking: Did you check the errors log file?

You can see the space used by different tables via :gear: > Diagnostic > ** Database usage** (if nit preasent, youhave to activate DBStats core plugin). Check the difference of use of raw data tables between the last day of a month, and the first day of following month…