json_encode(): Invalid UTF-8 sequence in argument... Warning after update to (Piwik 1.8.2)

Hi guys!

I just updated to (Piwik 1.8.2) - now i get this warning. Is it bad? Or how can I fix it?

PHP Version 5.3.3-7+squeeze8

json support enabled
json version 1.2.1

MySql 5.1.61

Warning: json_encode(): Invalid UTF-8 sequence in argument in /srv/www/webXXX/html/piwik/core/Common.php on line 1129

Backtrace -->
#0 Piwik_ErrorHandler(...) called at [:]#1 json_encode(...) called at [/srv/www/webXXX/html/piwik/core/Common.php:1129]#2 
Piwik_Common::json_encode(...) called at [/srv/www/webXXX/html/piwik/plugins/Dashboard/Controller.php:24]#3 
Piwik_Dashboard_Controller->getDashboardView(...) called at [/srv/www/webXXX/html/piwik/plugins/Dashboard/Controller.php:34]#4 
Piwik_Dashboard_Controller->embeddedIndex(...) called at [:]#5 call_user_func_array(...) called at [/srv/www/webXXX/html/piwik/core/FrontController.php:138]#6 Piwik_FrontController->dispatch(...) called at [/srv/www/webXXX/html/piwik/index.php:53]

Thanks!

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Thanks for the report! what language were you using to generate this error?

does it work OK in english language piwik?

I set piwik into german translation.

I tried many different languages - but the same warning…

(Matthieu Aubry) #4

Where exaclty do you see this error? how can we reproduce it do you know? it is important that we can reproducec to fix the bug. thanks!

Ahoi Matt,

I see this error on my dashboard… and neraly on other pages but not on

'visitor , goals, actions… ’

so it seems to be that piwik is counting the visitora very well , but that it can’t display all…

This error is complicated to refus…

So I hope you can all restore your friendship to get the project forward… :slight_smile:

-kons

(Matthieu Aubry) #6

Thanks. can you please apply following patch:

Index: core/Common.php
===================================================================
--- core/Common.php	(revision 6463)
+++ core/Common.php	(working copy)
@@ -1125,7 +1126,7 @@
 		{
 			return _json_encode($value);
 		}
-
+var_dump($value);
 		return json_encode($value);
 	}

and then generate the page-> It should display more things. Please PM me the full output message.
Thanks!!

THEN to fix the issue for you simply replace
return json_encode($value);

by return @json_encode($value);

at this line 1129

(but pls Id appreciate the full output to help fix the root bug)