Is there a developement mode? (for the developement of websites)

Hi,

I’m working on a website, and I’m wondering if there is a development mode, so that I don’t pollute the regular statistics when I test my website.

Right now, I have set up one Matomo site for production, and one for testing. But I’d prefer one site with a dev mode (that removes or separates test data), because this way I wouldn’t have to exactly mirror the first site with the second.

In case this is not 100% clear: I’m not looking for a dev mode to work on Matomo itself, or Matomo plugins.

Hi,

The Matomo tracking code is just normal Javascript. So you can just adapt it so that in your development environment _paq.push(['trackPageView']); and similar functions are simply not called.

Or if you generate the HTML containing a tracking-code server-side you can just adapt your templating engine so that the _paq.push(['trackPageView']); line is not called during development.

Or if you don’t want to modify your site, you can tick a checkbox in the website settings so that Matomo only tracks the data if the URL of the site is your production URL.

Thanks, @Lukas!

I’m interested in a dev mode for developing features (on my website) that depend on Matomo (I forgot to mention that), so disabling Matomo wouldn’t work for me.

If there isn’t a dev mode like this, is there a way to clone a site within Matomo?

This way, I could config the production site, and then clone it to create the dev site.