Is it possible to disable screen resolution tracking? -GDPR Anonymity

Hey all,

I hope you’re well :slight_smile:

I am working on the anonymisation of the tracking data (not using cookies). There are more academic papers recently showing that a combination of device/OS/resolution/session time/Ip address/browser can actually sometime allow identification of people. I would like to disable the resolution tracking, as it’s not critical to my business, and would reinforce the privacy of my users. Is there a way to do that? I couldn’t find it in the documentation I have gone through so far.

Your help would be amazing, and appreciated :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

Thibault

Hi,

To be honest, I think that of the ones you listed, screen resolution is the one that identifies users the least as a significant fraction of users just have 1920x1080 or another very popular resolution.

There is no easy way to do it, but you could write a plugin that adds custom code to the piwik.js and overwrites this function during initialisation replaces this function

with one that doesn’t return the screen resolution (or other features).

Hi,

I just thought of a much simpler solution:

You can disable the “Resolution” plugin in Matomo which is responsible for recording and aggregating this data:

Just keep in mind that the data is still sent to Matomo, but it just doesn’t store it.