Is a Return Visit Considered an Action?

(Roddy A. Stegemann) #1

We previously established that a bounce is considered an action, and I have since learned to subtract bounces from the total number of actions before reporting average visitor behavior.

This time, I would like to know whether a return visit is considered an action.

Roddy

(Peterbo) #2

A bounce is not really an action rather than the lack of another action after the first pageview.

A returning visit is just an action like a normal visit, just that the user was there before. It’s just another “visit property”.

(Roddy A. Stegemann) #3

In the end, what is important is how actions are counted, and not how they are interpreted, for the interpretation can vary according to one’s objective. When I previously asked whether a bounce is counted as an action, I was told yes. In other words, the value of nb_actions increases by one when a visitor bounces. Do you no longer agree on this point?

So, which of the following would be accurate for a return visitor who bounces?

ALTERNATIVE 1
nb_visits_returning (+1)
nb_actions_returning (no change)
bounce_count_returning (+1)

ALTERNATIVE 2
nb_visits_returning (+1)
nb_actions_returning (+1)
bounce_count_returning (+1)

ALTERNATIVE (OTHER)

Please provide, if appropriate.

Roddy

(Peterbo) #4

Roddy, unfortunately, it seems like you’re really trying hard to get the concept wrong. A bounce is a pageview action with the lack of an adjacent action that follows this pageview wihtin a visit. There is nothing like a special action for bounces or a bounce action. Nothing wrong with what I said.

(Roddy A. Stegemann) #5

Hi, Peter!

OK. So, I will try again, but please play by my rules, for they are clearly the unambiguous rules of Matomo – namely, Matomo’s generated statistics. Once I have command of these, I can work the magic of the English language into what would likely be a clear statement of understanding for all English speakers.

Which of the following is an accurate MATOMO description of a bounce for a first time visitor?

Source ==> Matomo Statisitc (Registered Change)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> nb_visits (+1)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> nb_actions (no change)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> bounce_count (+1)

API.VisitsSummary.get ==> nb_visits (+1)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> nb_actions (+1)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> bounce_count (+1)

If neither of these is correct, please provide your own statistical interpretation of a bounce.

API.VisitsSummary.get ==> nb_visits (fill in here)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> nb_actions (fill in here)
API.VisitsSummary.get ==> bounce_count (fill in here)

Roddy