IP Lookup

I know it was suggested in the general forum, but I am posting it here because it seems like thats what this forums is for, and it will be easier to keep track of in one forum…so…

User IP lookup

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

[quote=puma @ Dec 3 2008, 05:29 PM]I know it was suggested in the general forum, but I am posting it here because it seems like thats what this forums is for, and it will be easier to keep track of in one forum…so…

User IP lookup

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/quote]

I think this feature is already included since the script can detect and sort users by country/location/etc. Are you speaking about another clickable feature that will show the advanced ip address lookup for each visitor ? something to be imported? this might be an idea. I saw this featured on the admin panel from the Elxis CMS and it was great. Too bad it was outdated (meaning that the link that was returning the queries is now broken). A simple method for us will be to use a free ip lookup tool from out there, run queries on it, and display only the result. You can use an API from major ip lookup websites, or just use some free websites that already do this.

Thanks,
Gaspar F.

You can get the IP lookup API from the site : http://www.ip-details.com/ip-details-client/ , which is available in 3 forms.

1. Have Your Viewers IP Address, and IP Address details(country, ISP, address, etc.) displayed on your website.
  2. Provide an IP Search for your website users. Results will be displayed on your website.
  3. Get IP-Details IP Address Location search as a Sidebar.

IP lookup can be done through (WHOIS) giving ISP information stored at ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, etc.

Provider ISP information is given in Piwik, however “Reverse DNS” information on the visitor’s IP (hostname) is not provided in Piwik.

A made-up example using Windows commandline:

nslookup 121.121.121.121
Name: comp21.management.somebank.co.uk
Address: 121.121.121.121

How about using Maxmind ISP database, would that work? How to - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Maxmind ISP database, links GeoIP to ISP information. All ISP information is already available through a WHOIS lookup. This database information is stored in Regional Internet Registries (RIR). The information is available through a WHOIS lookup, querying the official Network Coordination Centres of the Internet, only a few exist (ARIN, LACNIC, RIPE, AFRINIC, APNIC). Try e.g. (Webupdates — RIPE Network Coordination Centre). I suspect linking this information with GeoIP can be done real-time as well. I don’t think a Maxmind ISP database is actually required.

The feature request concerns a “Reverse DNS lookup”. A “DNS lookup” translates a human-readable hostname to a specific IP number. Obviously “Reverse DNS” does the reverse thing. It has nothing to do with ISP information, although the human-readable hostname often contains information about the ISP the hostname belongs to.

The feature request asks to (optionally) show the hostname for each visitor’s IP. This could in many cases reveal additional information (e.g. obama.whitehouse.gov) and not only which ISP the hostname belongs to.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.gethostbyaddr.php