IP identity

Hi to all and thank you for this nice
PIWIK system, and your help.

I’m looking for a way to add a field to identify an IP who came to my website.
(in order to know if my friends came)

It would be great to be able to fill that (and to see it) thru ‘Live Visitor’ or ‘Resume view’… and to be able
to see it in both tables.

Is it possible ?

Thanks a lot.

B.

The problem is, most people’s IP addresses change, so that really isn’t viable. It wouldn’t be useful to put it in there, and then say “Only the people with static IP’s can use this, everyone with dynamic IP’s is screwed.”

As nice as it might be to track your friends, it’s not really possible via IP address, at least “en masse”.

A good idea I think. Not about tracking friends but tracking clients. I’ve used IP tagging in other stats software very effectively.

I agree with Adam that this is a great idea. I’ve used StatCounter to track my websites, and whereas I love Piwik more, I miss one of StatCounter’s features. When you visit their visitor log you view the company name associated with the ip address. This has allowed me to know which customers are considering buying, but just need an extra push. I’ve been able to swing those customers with specialized emails, postcards, or even phone calls. It has also allowed me to know when the competition is snooping.

Hi,

We also would like to see the ip-adresses in Live and other lists with detailed info of the visitor.

Why not make it an option in the settings? So anyone can choose for himself whether to see the ip-address or not.
A setting per piwik-user would be the best. But a global setting is ok too.

Tagging a visitor is also a feature which would be very nice. Then also the piwik-user should have the option to tag on ip-address only or with other settings or visitor-cookie.

So please give us the ip. With an option in the setting, so anyone is free of choice.

Greetz, Joly

[quote=SpikeX]
The problem is, most people’s IP addresses change, so that really isn’t viable. It wouldn’t be useful to put it in there, and then say “Only the people with static IP’s can use this, everyone with dynamic IP’s is screwed.”

As nice as it might be to track your friends, it’s not really possible via IP address, at least “en masse”.[/quote]

To not track Ip adresses Is rediculous, I use ip addresses to track spammers, hackers where i can then ban them via my
Cpanel.
And most Ip adresses never change, or atleast not often, No not even dynamic as 90 percent of people have routers that store
there dynamic ip address via a lease. I have had my dynamic ip fo 2 years…

I know i just have to push the reset button of the cable modem attached to my router to get a new IP if i really want to.

So, it’s really not a way to track or block spammer, or not for an infinite amount of time.

I’ve been on wikis a lot in the past few years (just before leaving Wikia, long story), and i mostly never made any permanent ban. In fact, i was most of the time banning for no more than 3 months.

And even then, people sometimes came up saying it was their first visit on the site and they were already banned.

I dont disagree with the idea of someone making a plugin for people who want that feature, if they understand that it’s not true that IP are statics.

[quote=TulipVorlax]
I know i just have to push the reset button of the cable modem attached to my router to get a new IP if i really want to.

So, it’s really not a way to track or block spammer, or not for an infinite amount of time.

I’ve been on wikis a lot in the past few years (just before leaving Wikia, long story), and i mostly never made any permanent ban. In fact, i was most of the time banning for no more than 3 months.

And even then, people sometimes came up saying it was their first visit on the site and they were already banned.

I dont disagree with the idea of someone making a plugin for people who want that feature, if they understand that it’s not true that IP are statics.[/quote]

IP address are static… most companies or anyone not on a home internet plan typically has a static IP…
As for dynamic, well If people that are hammering sites in which i keep secure are willing to go though these steps, then you cant do much about it, But most smart broadband users once getting a nice IP, some can be slower, some can be faster, want to hold on to it which is typical the norm. as to get your router or modem to hand you a new one is a pain…

Computer connected directly to the modem
Get to a command prompt. (START, run, cmd).
Type “ipconfig /release” (without the quotes).
Shut down computer.
Turn off computer.
Turn off all ethernet hubs/switches.
Turn off cable/DSL modem.
Leave off overnight.
Turn everything back on.
Network with Router

Release the IP address. (Method varies by router manufacturer)
Turn off router, ethernet hubs/switches, and the cable/DSL modem.
Leave off overnight.
Turn everything back on.

Also once you get the IP even if changed, you can work with the ISP to find who had the ip you captured at the time and date in which they breached your site…
I realize Piwik Is liked by many, though the main reason is it’s just eye candy, there is tons of redundant data that non professional site owners can look at and say wow I had a visitor from Tokyo using IE8 with a screen res of 1280x1024 at this time and viewed these files, which can be fun until the Novelty wears off…

I often have visit from country like Ukrain (sorry if spelled wrong, english isn’t my first language) or anything wich are in fact visit from the very same ISP than i’m currently using.

I never said Google IP or Microsoft one or IP of the University of Montreal arent statics ones.

I never said that ISP arent tracking who was on a perticular IP at one time.

I said that using IP to block visitor from a site for a long period period of time isn’t really doing any good.

Yes, having the possibility to associate Google’s IP, or any compagny, to a string containing it name and that Piwik would show that string beside the IP or instead of it, would be a nice feature.
Especially if a list of known IPs would comme with the software like there is a list of search engines.

What i still say is that you can’t expect IP assigned to normal resident (not compagnies) to stay the same indefinitly and on top of that, you can’t know when a change is happenning. (The method you’re describing for getting a new IP isn’t all necessary; a single button press on my modem and it’s done.)

So, yes, if someone who know PHP coding better than me is willing to invest his own free time in developping a plugin for this feature, then nothing should be holding him. Any good feature addition is a good thing.

But i dont think this feature should be more important than what Piwik main devs have already given a high priority on their roadmap at dev.piwik.org. Or at least, not until one of them say out loud that they find this feature to be an important one.

On thing here that people should keep on mind is that Piwik is not used only by managers of big sites and big compagnies. I’m only a regular guy with a few sites that get less than an hundred page view per day. In fact, most of my sites got 0 visits per day currenty. I dont post links to them all over the Internet…

So maybe you could say that i dont need that feature. That’s why it should be a plugin.
On my part i’ve comes to not even care when Piwik report wrong country because that it not relevant data for me. I use Piwik to know wich keywords combination bring people to my sites and wich pages they visit, wich files they download, wich external link they click, etc.

For me Piwik is simply a way to get back some motivation to resume work on my “personnals” websites.

Some sorry if my comments on this topic is getting you mad, i will try to not post again since you seems to feel that my comments arent welcomed.

Sorry, I don’t quite understand the overall request here…

If you’re not using Piwik, be advised that Piwik does record and display IP addresses (subject to any anonymization turned on). This may not be visible to you on the demo because of your acces level.

Tagging a visitor with arbitrary data is possible via setCustomData(). Piwik leaves it up to plugin authors to process, record, archive, and display such data because it is implementation-specific. (We do have plans to provide a generic module as an example and to fill in a gap in current functionality.)

Well…

I found the problem here…

I installed Piwik 1.0 to my server and service to Philippines Communities and found out the most of traffic were coming from USA but actually it was all from Philippines.

Piwik 1.0 consider ISP like “PLDT” is from States not Philippines. That’s why, it shows wrong country information. Guess what PLDT stand for Philippines Long Distance Telephone.

Therefore, we need a solution to edit these ip addresses which currently belong to wrong countries, then if we can correct them, we can read more detail report. Lots of Asia Pacific IP addresses display wrong countries in Piwik.

We need to correct soon.

Thanks for reading this.

allenclein: Troubleshooting - Analytics Platform - Matomo … we’ll be moving GeoIP into core in a future release.

I just installed Geoip Plugin but still has some problem. PLDT still show under States but maxmind.com shows exactly Philippines. It means the DATA provided by Maxmind is not correct? or they want to sell that DB? Interesting… Thanks for replying!

Previously logged visits aren’t re-geolocated when the GeoIP plugin is installed.

Thanks for reply the VIPsoft. You’re 100% right and now it’s working,

[quote=armani22]
And most Ip adresses never change, or atleast not often, No not even dynamic as 90 percent of people have routers that store
there dynamic ip address via a lease. I have had my dynamic ip fo 2 years…[/quote]

That is only true for countries where there are more IPs than current internet users. In germany everyone gets a new IP address every 24h (so called 24h disconnect). Nice for you if can hold on to an IP for 2 years.

How about simply having the ability for the system to allow to do a reverse DNS lookup? My situation may be different than others in that we are using Piwik for our Intranet servers. But still, reverse DNS should be fine for external as well

Michael

[quote=doitprint]

I agree with Adam that this is a great idea. I’ve used StatCounter to track my websites, and whereas I love Piwik more, I miss one of StatCounter’s features. When you visit their visitor log you view the company name associated with the ip address. This has allowed me to know which customers are considering buying, but just need an extra push. I’ve been able to swing those customers with specialized emails, postcards, or even phone calls. It has also allowed me to know when the competition is snooping.[/quote]

I love the style and comprehensiveness of Piwik, but it is missing one main compnonent that I really need. In previous web analytics that we have used we were able to see the Company Name when the company had a static IP address (as most of our big customers do). Is it possible to have some kind of reverse DNS lookup to help identify and report these names? Knowing the ISP is not nearly as useful as knowing the company that owns the static IP.

[quote=ljudge]

[quote=doitprint]

I agree with Adam that this is a great idea. I’ve used StatCounter to track my websites, and whereas I love Piwik more, I miss one of StatCounter’s features. When you visit their visitor log you view the company name associated with the ip address. This has allowed me to know which customers are considering buying, but just need an extra push. I’ve been able to swing those customers with specialized emails, postcards, or even phone calls. It has also allowed me to know when the competition is snooping.[/quote]

I love the style and comprehensiveness of Piwik, but it is missing one main compnonent that I really need. In previous web analytics that we have used we were able to see the Company Name when the company had a static IP address (as most of our big customers do). Is it possible to have some kind of reverse DNS lookup to help identify and report these names? Knowing the ISP is not nearly as useful as knowing the company that owns the static IP.[/quote]

I agree. I love Piwik but this is a very useful feature that statcounter has and not Piwik. It would be very valuable for our company and when this feature is added to Piwik I can delete my statcounter account.

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.