Internal Email open rates - inaccurate numbers

Hi all,

We’re a team of a few thousand and all users are on Microsoft Outlook. The distribution list consists of roughly 5,000 users

I’m attempting to use the Matomo image tracker to track open rates, specifically:

http://example.com/pathtopiwik/piwik.php?idsite=5&action_name=internal-test

I’m noticing the following:

• Pageviews, so far, is well over 6,000
  • Unique Visitors is under 100

When I check the visitor log it seems like multiple users have been clumped into one IP.

What’s actually happening here, and what’s getting tracked?

Anyone have an idea? :thinking:

Hi,

I know nothing about Outlook, but is there maybe some kind of proxy-script that caches all images in all emails so that it is only fetched once for many readers?

Hi,

Did you find any solution for this? I am facing similar issue and planning to set the

[Tracker]
trust_visitors_cookies = 1

I am guessing it mat be because of similar IP address.

Any update would be highly appreciated.

@Lukas any input would be highly appreciated.

When the people receiving your emails are all on the same internal networks and using a similar email client, you will find that the Unique Users/Unique Visitors KPI metric value will be wrong.

To solve this issue you want to append the parameter: &cid= which should be set to a uniquely generated string of exactly 16 hexadecimal characters (containing only characters 01234567890abcdefABCDEF). This will set the Visitor ID to a unique string for each email recipient ensuring Matomo tracks them correctly.

Added this to FAQ: How do I track how many users open and read my newsletter emails (using a pixel / beacon)? FAQ - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Well this is very informative.