Installation - Database Setup

I installed 5.6.17 MySQL Community Server (GPL) to work with PIWIK 2.2.2 on the same server. I can login and use MySQL with no issues. However, when I try to run the installation I get stuck on the Database Setup. The Database Setup will not accept the login for the root or any other account I create in MySQL. Any help would be appropriated.

Error while trying to connect to the database server:
SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

2 things on top of my head:

1. MySQL 5.6 runs with “strict mode” : STRICT_TRANS_TABLES or STRICT_ALL_TABLES I don’t think it would cause the problem but I thin Piwik like many others PHP projects have issues with “strict mode”.

2. It’s never a good idea to run your Web application as as MySQL root but nonetheless did root is able to connect to 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost ?

Dali (not a MySQL power user)

we’re planning to make PIwik compatible with STRICT Mysql mode. See feature request: Make Piwik compatible with sql_mode = STRICT_TRANS_TABLES (MySQL 5.6 default and best practise) · Issue #5178 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub