I'm in Norway, but Matomo registers my Huawei phone visits as I am in Hongkong

Hello Matomo forum,

I experience a weird issue, which I hope is related to Matomo:

I am in Norway, connected to a Norwegian (4g) network, and have a Huawei P20 Pro (mobile phone). When I view the Matomo logs it reports that my visits to my monitored websites is done from Hongkong!

I notice that Matomo reports this based on an ipv6 address. I know that the phone also is registered on the network with an ipv4 address. (Which I’m 100 % certain is Norwegian.)

Considering all the dramatic measures the American government have done regarding Chinese telecom products lately, should I be very worried, or is this just Matomo misinterpreting the given data?

Thank you for any response!

Hi,

Matomo uses a free GeoIP database by default which isn’t always perfectly correct.

It is also possible that you enabled IP anonymisation before GeoIP, which causes Matomo to geolocate based on the anonymized IP, which can be even more incorrect.

I’d recommend you to check the Geolocation settings in MAtomo and double-check everything is setup correctly.

Hi,

Thank you for responding!

I am using the GeoIp Legacy (php) without any anonymization, and have been running this configuration for some years now. This is the first time I’m experiencing this.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly this issue is related to Matomo and how I have configured it, and not to Huawei secretly routing my network traffic to Hongkong. (Didn’t know I was this paranoid!)

That’s good enough for me.

You would mostlikely notice that, because you would have a much bigger delay (ping).

1 Like

Hi,

You could try out the new GeoIP2 plugin as it supports iPv6 far better.

1 Like