How to recover admin's password

(jamartinez) #1

Hello, I’m using this great tool, but I have a problem, I don’t remember my password, I tried to find it, directly in the database through SQL queries, but it doesn’t work.

As I told you, I’m a new user and I didn’t configure the mailing capability yet in the tool, so I can’t recover the password by this way.

So, does anybody knows, how can I recover my admin password?, thank you.

I hope you can help me guys

(vipsoft) #2

That database stores an md5 hash of your password.

Check to see if you have the ‘md5sum’ program on your server. You can use that to generate the hash for a new password, and then update your database with that value.

(jamartinez) #3

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 10 2009, 07:04 PM]That database stores an md5 hash of your password.

Check to see if you have the ‘md5sum’ program on your server. You can use that to generate the hash for a new password, and then update your database with that value.[/quote]

Thanks for answering, my problem with your solution, is that, I don’t find the user “admin” y the Data Base, “Admin” is my super user but I can’t find it.

Does anybody know in what table could I find the Super User Admin, in order to change its password?.

Thank you

(vipsoft) #4

If your table prefix is “piwik_”, look in the piwik_user table.

(jamartinez) #5

I already look for it there, but the only user I can see is “Anonymous” the admin user is not there.

Right know, I can access to Piwik System, because I found an active session in one of my browers, but, I don’t find, where can I change the admin password.

do you know where can I change the password for admin.

Thanks

(vipsoft) #6

This should have been prompted for & created for you if you went thru all the set-up screens.

Can you delete your config.ini.php? Go thru the setup and select re-use existing tables.

(jamartinez) #7

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 10 2009, 09:20 PM]This should have been prompted for & created for you if you went thru all the set-up screens.

Can you delete your config.ini.php? Go thru the setup and select re-use existing tables.[/quote]

I already fix it. I think that you answer is correct, but I found another way to do it.

As you told me , the config.ini.php file stores, the information about the “Super User”, so I looked for a md5 encrypter and I put it a new password, and I got a md5 string.

I copied this string and I replace the actual md5 string in the file for the new one.

I saved changes in the file and then I tried to log in whit the new password and it works!!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

Anyway, thank you for your help.

The encrypter I used is: http://www.md5encrypter.com/

Thanks

(Marcello) #8

On Unix/Linux system you can get the MD5 hash of a string by using

printf ‘my_password’ | md5sum

(apedic) #9

[quote=Marcello @ Nov 19 2009, 02:16 PM]On Unix/Linux system you can get the MD5 hash of a string by using

printf ‘my_password’ | md5sum[/quote]

this is for mac:

printf ‘my_password’ | md5

(rcmichelle) #10

you can try to google Password Genius

(Nimitz1061) #11

It may be helpful to know that Piwik apparently does not handle the user id in a case insensitive way.

This can be a problem when your web browser or password manager does…

I had same problem but the only user I can see is “unidentified” the admin user is not there.
I can access to Piwik System, because I found an active session in one of my browers, but, I don’t find, where can I change the admin password.