How Do You Measure Engagement With Short-Form Video Content?

I’ve been thinking about how website owners measure the value of short-form video content beyond simply counting page views.

Videos can be used in many different ways on a website. Some businesses use them for product demonstrations, tutorials, educational content, social-media campaigns, or customer support. Because of that, a simple page-view metric doesn’t always tell the full story.

For example, a visitor might arrive on a page, watch part of a video, pause it, continue reading, and then return to the video later. Another visitor might watch the entire clip but leave without clicking anything. Both users generated a page view, but their engagement with the content was very different.

I’m interested in how others approach this type of measurement with Matomo.

Some events that seem useful to track could include:

  • Video play

  • Video completion

  • Percentage watched

  • Pause or resume actions

  • Clicks after watching

  • Returning visitors

  • Traffic source

  • Device type

  • Time between video interaction and conversion

I also think the research stage is interesting. When creating content around short-form videos, I sometimes save publicly available video references so I can review ideas later. I recently came across Snaptikk as a browser-based option for keeping video references available for personal research. The analytics question, however, is what happens after that research becomes actual website content.

If a website publishes original video content, it would be useful to understand which videos actually contribute to engagement rather than simply generating views.

For example, could a custom event tell us whether visitors who interact with a video are more likely to visit another page? Could segments be used to compare visitors who watched a video with visitors who didn’t?

I’m also curious about how other Matomo users balance the amount of tracking they implement with privacy considerations. Tracking every possible interaction can create a lot of data, but tracking too little can make it difficult to understand what users actually find useful.

For those who use Matomo on content-heavy websites, what video-related metrics have you found genuinely useful?

Do you track video interactions as custom events, use a dedicated video analytics integration, or keep video measurement relatively simple?

I’d be interested in hearing what has worked in real-world projects and which metrics turned out to be less useful than expected.

For this type of use case, I would recommend looking at Matomo’s Media Analytics feature rather than building all of the video tracking manually with custom Events.

Media Analytics is specifically designed to measure how visitors interact with video and audio content. It can provide metrics such as:

  • Number of plays

  • Unique visitors who played the media

  • Time spent watching

  • Percentage of the video watched

  • Video completions

  • Media titles and URLs

  • Which pages the media was viewed from

This gives you a much clearer picture of video engagement than page views alone and avoids having to create separate custom Events for every basic video interaction.

You can then combine this information with other Matomo functionality. For example, Segments can be used to compare visitors who interacted with a particular video against other visitors, and Goals can help you analyse whether those visitors subsequently completed an important action such as an enquiry, registration or purchase.

For privacy and data volume, I would generally recommend starting with the interactions that answer a specific business question rather than tracking every possible action. Metrics such as whether the video was played, how much was watched, and whether those visitors subsequently converted will often provide more useful information than recording every individual pause or resume action.

If you have interactions that aren’t covered by Media Analytics, you can then supplement the standard media tracking with Events for those specific actions.

You can find more information about Media Analytics here:

I have been thinking about how website owners can measure the value of short-form videos beyond simple page views.

With Matomo, metrics like video plays, completion rate, percentage watched, pauses, traffic source, device type and actions after watching could give a much clearer picture of engagement.

For example, someone might watch 80% of a video and then visit another page, while another visitor might watch the entire video but take no further action. Both count as page views, but their engagement is clearly different.

I am curious how others handle this in Matomo. Do you use custom events to track video interactions and segments to compare visitors who watched a video with those who didn’t? Or do you use a dedicated video analytics integration?

I am also interested in how you balance detailed tracking with privacy. Tracking everything can create a lot of data, but tracking too little may hide useful insights.

For those using Matomo on content heavy websites, which video metrics have actually been useful in real-world projects?

I’d focus on completion rate and actions after watching, since they show whether the video actually keeps people engaged.

Thanks, Jason. This is really helpful.

I especially like the point about starting with the interactions that answer a specific business question instead of trying to track every possible video action.

For short-form videos, I think metrics such as play rate, average watch time, percentage watched, and completion rate can provide a much clearer picture of engagement than simply counting page views.

The combination of Media Analytics with Segments and Goals also seems useful for understanding whether watching a video actually leads to a meaningful action afterward.

One question I have: if a website has many short videos embedded across different pages, is there a recommended way to organize or name the media titles so that the reports remain easy to analyze as the number of videos grows?

Thanks for sharing the explanation.