How can I remove Matomo?

Hallo to everyone,
I would like to know how I can remove Matomo from a site.
On the net I find a lot of documentation on installation, configuration etc. but nothing about removal.
Can anyone kindly help me?

Hi,

There is an official doc about this:

https://matomo.org/faq/how-to-install/faq_136/

But it boils down to:

• remove the tracking code from your website
  • delete the database (and probably make a backup before in case you change your mind in the future)
    • if you have other non-matomo tables in the same database only deltet the tables starting with the matomo prefix
  • delete all Matomo files from your webserver

Thanks Lukas,
the fact is that i can’t find the tracking code within the site files.
I’m trying locally, I deleted the matomo folder
Then starting from the /opt/lampp/htdocs folder I did a search with the command:
grep -r “matomo” SiteRoot
but he found nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Hi,

How did you add the tracking code to your website?

If you are using the wordpress plugin for example, you can simply disable it to stop it from adding it to the site.

The thing is, I don’t remember how I did it.
Usually I always write all the installation, configuration and modification operations I do on the various operating systems or applications, but in this case I have not found anything.
I made the site with Joomla.

Hi,

Maybe you use a Joomla plugin that is stilled called piwik. Have you tried grep -r “piwik” SiteRoot?

Thank you for your help, :grinning:

Actually in the past I had used piwik, but doing
grep -r “piwik” SiteRoot

I got

SiteRoot/plugins/system/piwik/piwik.php: $tcode = $this->params->def(‘piwik’, 1);
SiteRoot/plugins/system/piwik/piwik.php: $piwik = $this->params->get(‘tcode’, ‘’);
SiteRoot/plugins/system/piwik/piwik.php: $buffer = substr($buffer, 0, $pos).$piwik.substr($buffer, $pos);
SiteRoot/plugins/system/piwik/piwik.xml: piwik.php
SiteRoot/plugins/system/piwik/piwik.xml: description=“put in here tracking code generated by piwik”

Then I checked joomla installed plugins and found “System - nfrPiwik”:

Should I uninstall it?

Hi,

Indeed nfrPiwik is a joomla plugin that adds the Matomo tracking code to a joomla website.
So simply uninstalling should also remove the tracking code.

Thank you so much for your valuable and timely help! :smiley:

1 Like