Hosting Provider Did Updates, Now Piwik Reset!

Over the weekend I noticed that my hosting provider upgraded the version of Plesk as well as webmail Horde. Now Piwik is starting a new install!

I’ve had the same version since December. I’m running 1 point something… When I went to check my visitors today I received this message:

Piwik couldn’t write to some directories.Try to Execute the following commands on your Linux server… So on 1 domain I reluctantly started to proceed with this fresh install, when it reports file integrity check failed on files live.js, live.css and generateDoc.bat. The files are present on my server, but I am assuming there size is different than what Piwik is looking for.

The main thing is that I do not want to lose my data, and I don’t know how to proceed. I’ve checked my database and it looks like everything is there. I have made a backup. I don’t know exactly what version I have, but if someone could tell me what file/dir to look in, or possible where to look in the DB, I could find out for certain.

Any ideas on what to do next? Or how the changes my hosting provider made stopped Piwik from working?

I appreciate any input,
Bobio :slight_smile:

Piwik couldn't write to some directories.Try to Execute the following commands on your Linux server...

Once you gave the right permissions to your files, was Piwik working or did it start the installation?
If you put the same DB name and table prefix, piwik will reuse your existing tables and will not delete your data.

Thanks for your reply Matt.

When I corrected the permissions issue, it proceeded to the Welcome screen for the installation. I would have just kept going, but it the file integrity check failed on files live.js, live.css and generateDoc.bat. The files are present on my server, but I am assuming their size is different than what Piwik is looking for.

So I am currently trying to find out what version I have installed, to get the correct files and overwrite the ones above that don’t pass the integrity check.
But I don’t know what version I have :frowning: I’m just not sure what file to search for that could tell me.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

I realize now I am being hosted on a different IP. Not sure how this going to change things.

I still haven’t been able to find out what version of Piwik I am running, can someone point me in the right direction?

Bobio

These should be the same;

• core/Version.php (for the software)

• in your piwik_options table:

mysql> select * from piwik_option where option_name = 'version_core';

I did what you said here, but am confronted with this msg:

Some tables in your database have the same names as the tables Piwik is trying to create.

« Go back and define a Prefix for the Piwik Tables
Delete the detected tables »

Any advice?

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks for your reply, it is version 1.0
What I ended up doing is downloading lastest version, writing over files, and trying to start install over again (I am not prompted with upgrade screen). What I did receive was the message above, and again, I do not know how to proceed!

Thanks,
Bob

If you’re getting “Piwik couldn’t write to some directories.”, just chmod the directories so that they’re writeable.

The reason you’re being prompted to re-install is because your host apparently blew away your config file (located in config/config.ini.php). Just run through the installer, and when it prompts you to either delete the existing tables or reuse the existing tables, choose “reuse …”.

When that’s done, make a backup of config/config.ini.php for future reference. After that, you can decide whether or not to update to the latest version.

Thanks again for your reply vipsoft, I am starting to grasp what has happened.

I already installed the latest version and overwrote my existing Piwik directory.

Yes, thanks for pointing this out, I now only have config.ini.sample.php present in the config directory.

This is the current problem. I am not being promted to Reuse. The exact message is:

Creating the Tables
Some tables in your database have the same names as the tables Piwik is trying to create
« Go back and define a Prefix for the Piwik Tables
Delete the detected tables »

If I want to keep my data, it appears I can’t proceed past this step. Any other ideas?

Again, thanks for the help!

[quote=vipsoft]
If you’re getting “Piwik couldn’t write to some directories.”, just chmod the directories so that they’re writeable.

The reason you’re being prompted to re-install is because your host apparently blew away your config file (located in config/config.ini.php). Just run through the installer, and when it prompts you to either delete the existing tables or reuse the existing tables, choose “reuse …”.

When that’s done, make a backup of config/config.ini.php for future reference. After that, you can decide whether or not to update to the latest version.[/quote]

On my other website (I had two with Piwik hosted on this IP), I did what you said above, and everything is restored perfectly. This is great, because this site has 40 visitors a day, and I really didn’t want to lose anything.

The other site, where I made the mistake of overwriting the existing copy of Piwik 1.0 with 1.2.1, doesn’t give me the reuse tables option. This is fine, because the site is very low traffic, and I have no problems with creating a fresh install.

So thanks again for your solution above vipsoft, it worked seamlessly :slight_smile:

Bobio

Yes, when you overwrite with newer software and the config file doesn’t exist, Piwik doesn’t offer to re-use the existing tables. The problem is that a newer version may change the schema, but the the schema updater won’t run without a config file.