Highlight or flag site/forum members in Visitor Log?

Hi Friends,
Is there any way to have entries in the Visitor Log highlighted or flagged, or to somehow visually identify registered forum members? I’ve been comparing IPs to my member list (SMF with Tiny Portal) but it’s kind of a pain. It would be helpful if members’ visits could somehow be identified in the Visitor Log. Or maybe even display the username?

Is there any way to do that? If not, may I submit as a new feature request? Or is it just not possible to do at all?

Btw, I like the improvements to the forum – very nice! But I don’t see any way to report spam.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

all visits that have converted at least one goal will be highlighted in yellow color.

You can also tag users with their username using a custom variable on the page: Custom Variables Analytics - Analytics Platform - Matomo
they will then appear in the visitor log below the date-time

Oh, that’s awesome. Thank you matt :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I need…well, at least a couple of clues. I know little to nothing about php or js. I do know a little about html, but I don’t think that’s going to help.

1 – On this page: Using Custom Variables in Piwik (Tutorial), it describes what sounds like counting member visits. It says to replace certain parts of the “piwik code”. As far as I can tell, that means the javascript (that’s placed on every page of the site that I want tracked). Correct?

2 – It says to replace this:

piwikTracker.trackPageView();

with something else. But I can’t find that in the javascript. The closest thing I find is:

_paq.push(["trackPageView"]);

That makes me wonder if I haven’t found the right “piwik code”.

3 – Once I figure out where and what the code is to be replaced, how do I change it, so that the member’s name appears. Because it sounds to me like that’s going to count members, but not identify them. Honestly, counting members will still be helpful, even if their usernames can’t be displayed. But it sounds like just figuring out what words to put for the custom variables. I just haven’t found out which words to use. Is there a list somewhere, that shows all the possible variables?

Thanks again!

Ok. In the spirit of trying my best, and getting as far as I can on my own, this is my best guess about what I should do. Would someone please tell me if I’m getting close? Here’s what I’m thinking:

1. “piwik code” does mean the js (that goes on every page to be tracked)

2. The part I need to change is:

1. I need to change it to:

_paq.push(["setCustomVariable", "1", "Member", "Name", "visit"]);

Or possibly “Name” should be “Username”? Or even “member name”?

I pieced that together using examples and what little info I could understand on these 3 pages (while still not understanding php or js).

http://piwik.org/docs/custom-variables/
http://developer.piwik.org/api-reference/tracking-javascript#custom-variables
http://piwik.org/blog/2012/10/custom-variable-case-study-divezone-net/

It’s probably because I don’t know much at all about PHP or JS, that I don’t understand this. But my main question, which is not answered in any of those docs, is how does Piwik know what I mean by “member” and “name”?

They explain setCustomVariable, and the number, and they explain “visit” on the end. But it seems to me that somewhere I should have to tell piwik what I mean by “member” and “name”.

That’s why I was asking in my previous message about a list of all the possible variables, so I can choose the proper words to put in the code. Either there must be existing custom variables that I can use; or somewhere I need to tell Piwik what I mean. How does it magically know that? (Or know what any of the words I saw in the examples in those 3 docs, means? For example, “gender”.)

(A close runner up in big questions, is how piwik has any idea about the gender of the user of the computer. But that really is irrelevant to the task at hand 8-).)

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer :slight_smile:

Can’t seem to find Edit button.

I also used this doc: Using Custom Variables in Piwik (Tutorial) - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Piwik does not know what you want to track, it just tracks whatever data you send Piwik. basically you need to write the username of your users int he code itself. You may need to ask someone familiar with JS or PHP for this.

Oh yes, that is indeed beyond my current skill set!

Curious that vital step isn’t mentioned in any of the documentation I found.

But thanks anyway for your help :slight_smile: