Help w/ "...you need at least PHP version 5.1.3 " Issue

Hi!

I just found out about Piwik and am excited about what it has to offer. I’m trying to install it on my server and am receiving the following “error”,

"To run Piwik you need at least PHP version 5.1.3 "

Now I’m not the biggest tech geek in the world but I’m fairly competent with the basics. I’m on my own dedicated server, info is as follows:

Operating system Linux
Apache version 1.3.41 (Unix)
PERL version 5.8.8
PHP version 5.2.6
MySQL version 4.1.22-standard

Now stop me if I’m wrong, but PHP 5.2.6 should seem to qualify, right? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif (rhetorical question)

I’ve tried “forcing” PHP 5 using each of the suggested htaccess inclusions (Installation - Analytics Platform - Matomo) but without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. By the way, even though I have my own server my admin skills don’t extend much beyond what can be done in cPanel & WHM or by FTP so if the solution involves SSH’ing or what have you, I may need a little hand holding.

Yes this should qualify style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

If you like I can directly help you, just send me a Mail to halfdan (at) xnorfz (dot) de (alternatively you can just click on my name and add me in ICQ if you use it).

Cheers

Does your system have multiple php versions installed?

Create a .php file that contains:

<?php echo phpversion();

What’s the output from your browser?

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Ran phpinfo and it shows PHP Version 4.4.9 despite what cPanel’s dash board is saying to the contrary.

I have a help ticket in with the guys that manage my server so I hope to have this resolved soon but I’m always up for learning something new – is there way I can make this adjustment with my limited knowledge of things or should I leave it to the real techs?

Thanks again for your help!

OK, things are working now!

My server folks got back to me and said my server IS running PHP5 but it is set to run PHP4 as the default. I think this is because my primary site is running on an old script that crashes if PHP5 is used. Will have to give in and buy the latest version of this script so I can just run PHP5 on everything and call it a day.

They told me to use the handler shown below in my htaccess instead of any of the 3 options suggest in Piwiki’s Install FAQ’s - piwik.org/faq/how-to-install/

[b]AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php [/b]

Thanks again to Vipsoft & Fabian! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif