Goal tracking is not working with Pretty Link cloaking

Hey!

I am using “Pretty Link” (prettylinkpro.com) Wordpress plugin to cloak my links and I just can’t make it work with Piwik goal tracking.

Pretty Link uses 307 redirect and URL looks like “url.com/aff-link”. If I try to track any other URL non-PrettyLink it works fine.

I have tried ever possible setting, nothing seem to work.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thank you.

Best,
Matt
Internet Marketing Strategies

How did you setup your Goal exactly? Piwik will only track clicks on links to “outside domains”

Hey. I have figure it out already. I placed the “piwik_link” class in the link tag.

Thanks

Hey Bjorgen,

How were you able to insert “piwik_link” in the link tag in pretty link?

Thanks!

Hi BigBrown,

Set the link class to “piwik_link” and it will be treated as an external link. ie. External Site. You can also change the class name. More details here.

I tried, however, i’m not sure how you can change the “class” in http://prettylinkpro.com/ at least not the lite version that i’m running.

I haven’t used Pretty Link software, sorry. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I do have a general question regarding campaigns (with URL Builder) vs. goal tracking. Is it correct that campaigns and the URL Builder are exclusively for tracking visits from external sources (ie. that land on your website)? I cannot seem to get the campaigns working for our affiliate links (links from our site to an external website). They track fine as goals, and I can see them under Actions > Outlinks, but the campaign data is always empty.

Is it correct that campaigns and the URL Builder are exclusively for tracking visits from external sources (ie. that land on your website)?

Correct

I cannot seem to get the campaigns working for our affiliate links (links from our site to an external website).
Use goals for affliates tracking: http://piwik.org/docs/tracking-goals-web-analytics/

Thanks for the quick reply Matt. The support on this forum is really top notch :slight_smile:

So we’ve got the goals setup to track links, and the way we set them up is simply to name each link differently (ie. /link1, /link2, etc.) so in the Piwik reports we can see which links were clicked under Goals > [Name of Goal] and how they convert based on referrers, keyword, website, etc… The only thing I’m not seeing is the page impressions for each link, which are needed to generate a click-through ratio (CTR) on our links. We can reference those under Actions > Pages and then cross-reference them with the clicks corresponding to that page under Actions > Outlinks (because we include the page URL in the link text), but I’m guessing there must be a better way?

Edit:

I solved this.

Use Users clicks on “External Link”

And under the external link just use the modified pretty link you created.

ie. http://www.YOURURL.com/CUSTOM

where of course yourURL is your domain
and custom is what you named the cloaked link in pretty link.

but I’m guessing there must be a better way?

Not yet but we will be working on giving the Top pages that lead to a click, or another page. Work in progress…

Thanks for the update Matt, really looking forward to this feature.

@bigbrown: we use a similar process to handle affiliate links as you are doing with PrettyLink (using the Drupal CMS), however as you’ll see there is no page listing both impressions and clicks at the moment (we need to cross reference top pages and link clicks to get conversion %'s).