Geoip Error : Cannot set time limit in safe mode

Hi,
Brand new installation, working just fine. I’m attempting to install the GeoIP plugin however if fails when I attempt to run geoipUpdateRows.php.
I get this error:

Warning: set_time_limit() [function.set-time-limit]: [b]Cannot set time limit in safe mode in[/b] /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/plugins/GeoIP/misc/geoipUpdateRows.php on line 20
 # Web Analytics
[b]Error: Unable to start session. Please check that the web server has enough permission to write to these files/directories:[/b]
For example, on a Linux server if your Apache httpd user is www-data, you can try to execute:
chown -R www-data:www-data /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/tmp/sessions/
chmod -R 0755 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/tmp/sessions/
[b]Debug: the original error was 
Session must be started before any output has been sent to the browser;[/b] output started in /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/plugins/GeoIP/misc/geoipUpdateRows.php/20
Go to Piwik
Login

I’ve verified I am logged in so the session is set. I’ve also verified the permissions are correct on the directories mentioned. I’m using shared hosting, perhaps this is something to do with safemode being on in my php.ini file?

any thoughts? thanks.

So I turned safe mode off . Now I get

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception’ with message ‘The PDO extension is required for this adapter but the extension is not loaded’ in /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php:342 Stack trace: #0 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(247): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->setFetchMode(2) #1 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/core/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(31): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->__construct(Array) #2 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/core/Db/Adapter.php(57): Piwik_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->__construct(Array) #3 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/core/Piwik.php(2027): Piwik_Db_Adapter::factory(‘PDO_MYSQL’, Array) #4 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/core/FrontController.php(286): Piwik::createDatabaseObject() #5 /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/plugins/GeoIP/misc/geoipUpdateRows.php(30): Piwik_FrontController->init() #6 {main} thro in /home/tom/public_html/xxx.com/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php on line 342

ok I changed to using a custom php.ini which was missing
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so

so now that works.I have run geoipUpdateRows.php and see nothing on screen . Should I see something?

No I have run
DROP TABLE piwik_archive_blob_2012_01 ,
piwik_archive_blob_2012_06 ,
piwik_archive_blob_2012_07 ,
piwik_archive_numeric_2012_01 ,
piwik_archive_numeric_2012_06 ,
piwik_archive_numeric_2012_07 ;

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.