Geo IP not working on 1.8.3b5

I notice most of my visitors are from the US but I know they are not!

So I have followed the steps in Plugin using GeoIP to accurately detect visitor countries, cities, and continent · Issue #5465 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

The geoip plugin has been installed and the database updated.

I did not do the apply to previous reports as ‘deleting the archive tables in the db’ seems like a great way of loose all data !!! so I have left that for now until you give me more guidance.

How do I get the geoip plugin to work and correctly record visitor countries and cities.

How can i SAFELY apply it once working to old data?

If you don’t delete old logs, and still have all your logs in log_visit, it is safe to delete piwik_archive tables

We need YOUR help! We are running a crowd funding campaign to raise funds to implement the detailed Visitors Maps of Countries, Regions and Cities (for all countries)!

These maps will be beautiful, usable, and built using open standards SVG+JS. They will show detailed visitor count, conversion rates, by Country but also (New!) by city and region.

Pledge now at: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/analytics-maps-world-country-city-region/

There will be no more flash in Piwik and we will add amazing new Maps of your visitors.

Piwik needs you!