Fatal Error - out of memory

Around March I installed 0.2.28 and have monitored weekly/monthly stats. Great. Now we are at the end of our season I decided to look at Year stats. I get lots of

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 40370176) (tried to allocate 4104 bytes) in /content/HostingPlus/t/e/telfordsteamrailway.co.uk/web/piwik/core/DataTable.php on line 836

I remember at the time of setting up there were comments in the forum obout updating deleting the database.

So a couple of Questions

1. WIll upgrading to 0.4.5 fix this?
  2. Will upgrading erase my data - FAQ on updating refers to ‘Update Guide’ which in turn says latest version is 0.2.33 - is the guide relevant for 0.4.5? It suggests only need to backup the .ini file - is this still the case.

Thanks for any advice.

Increasing your max memory_limit in php.ini will fix this for most users.

We still have a ticket open (Archiving Memory exhausted error - Archiving memory leaks · Issue #766 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub) to further investigate PHP’s releasing of memory, since not everyone is running php 5.3.

[quote=vipsoft @ Nov 14 2009, 11:52 AM]Increasing your max memory_limit in php.ini will fix this for most users.

We still have a ticket open (Archiving Memory exhausted error - Archiving memory leaks · Issue #766 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub) to further investigate PHP’s releasing of memory, since not everyone is running php 5.3.[/quote]

I cant change the php.ini - its on my ISPs server.

what about the upgrade option - will it fix this?

I am having the same problem with memory. I am on a shared host with a lot of traffic and using cpanel but I have checked the database and it is storing all the data and I have 56mb so far in a week or so.

I am not sure that I will be able to get this to work without upgrading to a much more expensive web host which is not necessary for my other needs.

I am thinking that a much better solution would be to download the data to a desktop application and process the data locally.

This could delete the data from the database once downloaded and would work well for people using shared hosting and save server resources.

Please give it some consideration as this would solve many problems I believe.

update. I found some software that works on my desktop. www.desktop-web-analytics.com/
It is taking for ever to load the data but the live visitor log is working.