Failed to open stream: Connection timed out

It seems like our Matomo system suddenly has problems connecting to Matomo home.

If I enter the system with the admin user almost every click takes 1 minute to respond. I thought of a major problem but when I logged in as a standard user everything seems to work fine. But if I enter the Administration menu of the standard user I see three widgets showing “Loading data…” and after a while the widget “ Blog” shows:

Oops… there was a problem during the request. Maybe the server had a temporary issue, or maybe you requested a report with too much data. Please try again. If this error occurs repeatedly please contact your Matomo administrator for assistance. - Error while importing feed: /var/www/piwik/core/Http.php(554): Warning - file_get_contents( failed to open stream: Connection timed out - Matomo 4.1.1 - Please report this message in the Matomo forums: (please do a search first as it might have been reported already)

I used curl from the console to check if is reachable from this machine. It is.
After that I checked if PHP get_headers gets the data and this works, too.

Matomo is version 4.1.1, PHP is 7.4.3 and the system check tells me that the system is fine.

What can I try to find the source of this problem?


I’m not sure why this doesn’t work. At least for me it loads reasonably fast.

Of course, you can just disable the RssWidget plugin, then this won’t be able to slow down your Matomo instance anymore.

1 Like

It seems like I found a solution to this strange problem.

We used a memory_limit of “-1” in our php.ini. This was working for years.
While searching for the cause of our problem I set the memory_limit to “4g” and restarted the web server.

Suddenly everything was back to normal, the widgets are working again and all is fine.

I set memory_limit back to “-1” and tried it again and now it works with this setting, too.
It sounds stupid, but that’s all I changed… set it back to “4g” now to get rid of the warning.


1 Like

The cause was not the memory setting… it felt illogical and was only coincidence.
When we investigated the problem we were asking our network adminstrators for changes they made and they told us nothing was changed on their side.
This morning the interface delays were back and we talked to the network admins again and were informed that there are problems with IPv6 configurations they are working on currently. Argh… So some changes were made to the network gateway and everything is fine again (and hopefully stays this way).