Exclude Admin via Cookie

I just upgraded and installed the latest version (that’s actually what the zip file was called) of Piwik on my server. I thought I had read that this new version would allow “admin” visits to be excluded from the stats, but I can’t find that option or documentation anywhere. I am surprised because the old fork, PhpMyVisites did allow for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote=ptrau @ Jul 15 2009, 06:27 PM]I just upgraded and installed the latest version (that’s actually what the zip file was called) of Piwik on my server. I thought I had read that this new version would allow “admin” visits to be excluded from the stats, but I can’t find that option or documentation anywhere. I am surprised because the old fork, PhpMyVisites did allow for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Thanks for raising this question ptrua,

I was actually in the process of updating to the latest version but if this is not going to take too long to resolve I would prefer to wait.

Regards. Pari.

While Piwik is the successor to phpMyVisites, it’s more a rewrite than a a fork of PMV.

Excluding visits by cookie and/or IP is slated for the next major development milestone.

If you look in Trac, there are already some code contributions.

That is strange to me. I’m waiting since several month (or may be more than one year) for this elementary functionality and now it is still not included. May be for normal users this is ok but I’m working on my homepage daily and does only have a couple of hundreds visitors per day. So the statistic will be significant forged by my own visits.

You should make a faq for that question. I have wasted some time for searching for this option and finally find this post in the forum.

Is there no hack we can use untill this option is official added?

http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/42

Thank you for that link.

The package contains only 1 file named “dummy” without any extension. Does this package will be updated soon, or should I study “How to build a very simple Piwik plugin” and use the posted php code?

5 steps to get it work:

1. create a subdirectory “BlockingCookie” in “plugins”
  2. copy the code from the posted link into an editor and remove the line numbers
  3. save the file with the name “BlockingCookie.php” and load it to the created directory
  4. open the piwik control panel and goto “settings”
  5. here you find the plugin “BlockingCookie” which you have to activate

Thanks to the author of this plugin.

The first 3 steps can be replaced by extracting BlockingCookie-0.3.tar.gz from within the plugins folder.

e.g.,

cd plugins
gunzip <BlockingCookie-0.3.tar.gz | tar xf -

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 6 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first 3 steps can be replaced by extracting BlockingCookie-0.3.tar.gz from within the plugins folder.

As I have written: The package does not contain any php file and will also not create a directory (Windows).
QUOTE (vipsoft @ Aug 6 2009, 06:28 PM]e.g.,
cd plugins
gunzip <BlockingCookie-0.3.tar.gz | tar xf -

[/quote]
You should not think all users have an own web server with root access. Propably the most have not.

But nevertheless the plugin does not work for me. If activated NO data will be recorded any more.

Installation of the plugin does not require root access…

If you’d like it to be repackaged (eg .zip), contact the author.