Error widget after updating from 1.4 to 1.5

Am I correct in assuming that Piwik used file-based sessions up to 1.4? I cannot say that widgets loaded slow with it, especially not taking several minutes until the last was loaded (as Roosevelt reports).

I must say i’m using now a poor connexion, so I’ll have to test it later in good conditions. However, with this poor connexion, Piwik 1.51 loads very quickly on a server without the discussed issue, when the latest QA build fixed with changeset 5092 takes minutes to load or sometimes don’t load at all after the second widget, on a server with the issue. I get the “Ooops, retry again” error.
I’d say it is not optimum yet…
Did someone else test the QA build with the changeset 5092 ?

Yep, applied changeset 5092 on QA build, and everything seems to work now. No more widget errors.

Regarding speed, I don’t seem to have a problem. That being said, my websites are very small (we’re talking about ten visits a day), so performance is not really an issue.

Roosevelt, if you see each widget taking up time, can you please enable auto archiving as explained in: How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Really?
I have a very low traffic (about 20 visitors/day). Are you sure auto archiving will help?
I don’t have ssh access anyway.

if you have only 20 widgets and widgets still take a long time to generate, there is probably anotherr problem.
Make sure you set General settings > Max time to generate archives, to maybe 60 s

[quote=Matt]
Make sure you set General settings > Max time to generate archives, to maybe 60 s

[/quote]I can’t find this option unless you mean “Reports for today (or any other Date Range including today) will be processed at most every…”.
I setted it to 60. No better result. After 15 mins ,only 3 widgets out of 11 were loaded. Got several “oopss problem during request” alerts.
And widgett world map says “error while loading data (SecurityError)”.
It is very disapointing when Piwik 1.4 worked so fine.
(I’m using now a good internet connexion)

If it takes so long to load, it is probably not a piwik issue but a server issue. Can you check your webserver error logs and ask your hosting provider to look into it? Piwik should be very fast.

Yes, it is surely a problem of server.
Webserver errors are like "Premature end of script headers"
I contacted OVH but they see no problem on my server(s). So i have to report a discribed issue.
The problem is that I don’t know how to put it. Is it a provlem with php, mysql, server OS…

Problem finally solved for me. Destructing database and creating new with more recent mySql version and greater max connection by OVH.
My hosting was using old mysql configuration that did not follow upgrades until destruction.
Thanks to everybody.

I upgraded to 1.6 today and it seems that the “config file couldn’t be found” error in the dashboard is gone. I also seem to be using file-based sessions now.

I’m still getting the upgrade error at the end of the manual upgrade output that I mentioned earlier:

chdir(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect.  The script whose uid is 48 is not allowed to access /root owned by uid 0

It shouldn’t go to /root. There must be some code that isn’t picking up the homedir of piwik correctly and thus wants to cd in my console homedir or to the current dir I’m in.

Hi,
Upgraded to 1.6 and the problem that was solved with 1.5 see above (destructing database and creating new one by OVH) is now here again .
Using same solution does not work this time. Widgets won’t load completly again. It is kind of boring.

Roosevelt, there is no bug in Piwik. The problem is with your webhost, check the webserver error logs ?

I guess so.
But each improvement of Piwik seems to highlight new problems with my server.
1.4 worked fine, 1.5 didn’t
Upgraded with new database with more simultaneous connexions allowed, then 1.5 worked.
1.6 doesn’t.

error logs show “Premature end of script headers”
Ovh says:

si la valeur d’une des variables du fichier php.ini est dépassée, nos robots coupent l’exécution du script et vous obtenez l’erreur “Premature end of script headers”. Merci de consulter ce lien pour plus d’informations:
http://perso.ovh.net/infos/test.beta

how do I find wich variable is exeeded ?
And when I ask them why does Piwik work on another similar ovh server, and not on mine, they says “it is up to you to analyse your logs”.
So there i’m stucked again.

Check your file permissions (especially tmp/* and config/* ) and try again?

Check PHP not running as CGI?

All permissions seem to be ok (604 for php files) and yes, PHP is running as CGI…
Piwik loads 3 widgets while the others remain loading indefinitly…

Setup the cron as explained in: How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo and then it might work or at least give a error message?

Sorry I don’t have SSH access. Also, my website has only 20 to 30 visits a day, so it wouldn’t need auto-archiving. Or is it just to debug?
With OVHs Task Manager ( ), I can setup a task in CRON with a php script, but i have no skills to write it.

You don’t have to write script. There’s only a command line that gets executed by cron. That’s all. It’s explained when you follow the link Matt posted.

Yes but it says I would need SSH access wich I don’t have. I guess I can use misc/cron/archive.sh with the task scheduler…