Error When Installing Piwik

Hello All:

I have followed the instructions exactly as outlined and I am running mySQL version 5.0.77 and PHP version 5.2.6. I have uploaded the zip file to my server, unzipped it, and accessed Piwik for the first time. When I go to the directory in which I unzipped Piwik in my web browser, the following error message is displayed:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘BreadCrumbStack could not be autoloaded.’ in /home/websites/gabriel/murphyfencing/public_html/piwik/core/Loader.php:57 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: Piwik_Loader::autoload(‘BreadCrumbStack’) #1 [internal function]: spl_autoload_call(‘BreadCrumbStack’) #2 /home/websites/gabriel/murphyfencing/public_html/piwik/libs/Zend/Session.php(373): session_start() #3 /home/websites/gabriel/murphyfencing/public_html/piwik/index.php(50): Zend_Session::start() #4 {main} thrown in /home/websites/gabriel/murphyfencing/public_html/piwik/core/Loader.php on line 57

Any ideas?

i do have ideas,
i have the same problem with latest piwik and firefox (in IE6 all seems good).

the problem occurs when one of the sites you monitor with piwik serialises a custom class.

when you login on to your piwik site, piwik finds that serialised class (BreadCrumbStack in your case) somewhere, i guess from a session cookie, and tries to unserialise it.
IE6 is either stricter in domain cookies (or just broken when it comes to that) or either firefox is to permissive.

so… unserialising the class ofcourse fails since piwik cant find the original class since it doesnt belong to piwik and piwik didn’t or possibly can’t autoload it.
(eg: include(’/path/to/class_BreadCrumbStack.php’);session_start(); )

only work around is to use IE6 untill the developers have acknowledged this problem and fixed it… or it could well be a firefox bug… but then again, why didnt i have this problem with the previous piwik version.

and… if you really really need firefox to work… you could dig into the piwik code and fix the problem or even include the required class into piwik… but that goes a bit far.

We’ve made a number of session-related changes. This issue has already been fixed in svn. 0.4.4 should be out soon.

Please try Piwik 0.4.4. Now available for download.