ERROR: Oops… there was a problem during the request

Can someone help me? I’m getting the error “Oops… there was a problem during the request. Maybe the server had a temporary issue, or maybe you requested a report with too much data. Please try again.”

I followed the instructions of setting up a cron job, and disabled “Archive reports when viewed from the browser” in the General Settings - but the problem is still persisting.

It is a new installation running 4.5.0. There doesn’t seem to be any system or tracking errors in matamo, and I neither seem to be getting any server errors either (checked in CPANAL).

I don’t know what could be causing this or what else to do to fix it.

Thanks.

What do you see in the network activity tab of your browser developer tool (F12)?

The modules are getting a 500 error, failed to load resource. When I click that link in the console of the developer tool, I get a page:

A fatal error occurred

Illegal length modifier specified ‘f’ in s[np]printf call
in /home/name/public_html/pathname/analytics/vendor/twig/twig/src/Cache/FilesystemCache.php line 61

Hi,

This is a fascinating error that a few people reported. As you can see, it is occurring in the part of twig (the library Matomo uses to generate the HTML output) where twig tries to write/read the cache of the templates on the disk.

Even more interestingly, if you check the code, you will see that there is no printf call there, but instead just a regular PHP file_put_contents and rename. So my guess is that something in you PHP setup causes these two functions to internally break.
So either there is a (really obscure) bug in the PHP version you (and a few other people) are using or in a PHP module that is executed during these two calls.

Weirdly enough there is very little information on the internet about this issue.

See also