Error after updating 1.7 to 1.8

Hi,

I updated my piwik 1.7 to 1.8

I have 10 website 10 piwik.

Main website stats showning normal.

But if i select another website from right top area combobox, it gives error.

Error details :

SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1044 Access denied for user ‘myusername’@’%’ to database ‘mydatabasename’

It said that, access denied but i can access to panel via my username and password. And i can see details of default selected website. Only when i changed website to see details, it gives error. Everything on same database.

Solution: Please grant your database user the permission to LOCK tables, using phpMyAdmin or asking your webhost

This is a new requirement in Piwik 1.8 and we forgot to add a test to warn users about it.

Hi!
I upgraded from 1.7 to 1.8 and getting following error messages on Dashboard:
ERROR MESSAGE 1:
Sat 2 Jun - 19:48:55 (
There is an error. Please report the message (Piwik 1.8) and full backtrace in the Piwik forums (please do a Search first as it might have been reported already!).

Notice: Undefined index: visitLengthPretty in /home/public_html/analytic/tmp/templates_c/%%12^122^12231148%%lastVisits.tpl.php on line 69

Backtrace -->
#0 Piwik_ErrorHandler(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/tmp/templates_c/%%12^122^12231148%%lastVisits.tpl.php:69]#1 include(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/libs/Smarty/Smarty.class.php:1263]#2 Smarty->fetch(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/core/View.php:133]#3 Piwik_View->render(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/plugins/Live/Controller.php:44]#4 Piwik_Live_Controller->render(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/plugins/Live/Controller.php:99]#5 Piwik_Live_Controller->getLastVisitsStart(…) called at [:]#6 call_user_func_array(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/core/FrontController.php:138]#7 Piwik_FrontController->dispatch(…) called at [/home/public_html/analytic/index.php:53]

)

Try to delete the directory piwik/tmp and refresh?

if does nto work, reupload all files from piwik/plugins/ as some files were not uploaded OK

Hi Matt,

You wrote : "Solution: Please grant your database user the permission to LOCK tables, using phpMyAdmin or asking your webhost "

In my case and surely in many cases it is impossible to grant the permission to Lock Tables and asking to the webhost, what i did, would cost me too much as i would have to hire a separate database and it would cost me too much.

Unfortunately, i have to stay with 1.7 as i do not want to loose all my statistics.

Thanks, the lock permission fixed my problem.

@barnabe
I’d suggest you ask your host again, maybe someone else answers, and helps you.
You would already have your own database account, and they just have to give it the “lock tables” permission for your database.
You could point them too Piwik Requirements - Analytics Platform - Matomo

If they don’t want to do this, you’d probably be better off by changing hosts as soon as possible. It is not like you need some premium hosting for this functionality.

[quote=farwaykorse]

If they don’t want to do this, you’d probably be better off by changing hosts as soon as possible. It is not like you need some premium hosting for this functionality.[/quote]

Well, unfortunately i pay my host one year in advance and unfortunately it is absolutely impossible to change the permissions, i’ve asked many times.
I regret that Piwik did not think that many people cannot change the privileges of their DB.

it is absolutely impossible to change the permissions, i’ve asked many times.

I agree it’s frustrating for you. If we hear from MANY users with the problem maybe we will consider, but the LOCK table is really necessary to fix a bug with parallel archives…

But really please consider changing host next year as it’s not serious behavior from them

we are also considering in a new version NOT require the LOCK privilege, see ticket: Piwik should not require mysql LOCK privilege so more users can enjoy Free Web Analytics! · Issue #3204 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

please post a comment in this ticket if your web host does not allow LOCK privilege and you can’t use Piwik!