Error 403 on website settings in matomo

(Amrita) #1

Hi,
If a user has admin access in Matomo Analytics and clicks on website settings, it shows error 403 - forbidden. On clicking on manage website, it takes forever to load. I have latest version of Matomo installed in my server. Is it a Matomo issue ? How to resolve this ?

(Amrita) #2

I have freshly reinstalled Matomo. But, the same problem persists in the new installation also. When I click on website settings in Matomo analytics, it shows error 403-forbidden. But, as far as I remember, it was working correctly earlier. If someone can help, I would be very much thankful.

(Lukas Winkler) #3

Hi,

Chances are high that your webserver is denying this request. You can maybe find more details in it’s error log (do you by chance have mod_security enabled?)

If it isn’t the Webserver, can you check the php error log?

(Amrita) #4

Hi,
Thanks for your response. Sorry for the delay in my response. I had reinstalled Matomo and for the time being the error disappeared. But, I am facing the same issue again. I checked log files

1. php error log does not show any error on this at all.
  2. I enabled LogViewer. That also does not show any error.

I created another admin login, but the problem persists along all admin accounts. I am able to access all other settings, but when I click on website settings, it says forbidden. Moreover, I am able to add new website, but once it is created, I am not able to edit its settings.

(Lukas Winkler) #5

Hi,

Is it possible that you are using mod_security or have installed Matomo in a subdirectory of another website?

(Amrita) #6

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
It does not work even with mod_security disabled. And, I installed Matomo in the subdirectory of the same website that I am tracking.

(Lukas Winkler) #7

Hi,

It may be possible that your main site is adding rules in its .htaccess file that also affects Matomo. Would it possible for you to install it into a subdomain?

(Amrita) #8

I reviewed the htaccess files. I could not find any recent changes or any rules that may be restricting the access. I am afraid, reinstalling Matomo at this stage will be very difficult.

Is there any other way I can debug further ?

(Amrita) #9

When I click on Websites->Manage using admin account, I get the following message

Your Web Analytics reports need Websites! Add, update, delete Websites, and show the JavaScript to insert in your pages. You currently have access to ? websites.
A user with Super User access can also specify global settings for new websites.

Yet I am able to add new website. If I click on global settings hyperlink, it shows forbidden. Can this be an htaccess issue ? What particular file/files it may be restricting ?