Edit: How do I export specific variables?

Hi all,

I am kind of lost with my mission ahead and would really appreciate some help.

I study marketing and right now I am writing my master thesis about consumers’ reaction to online advertisement. In addition, I have a website generating revenue with display ads. Unfortunately so far I only used Google Analytics and have difficulties setting up piwik the way I want to… do you dare to help a desperate student? :slight_smile:

The aim of my paper is to analyze and compare the variation in consumers engagement to display advertising based on browsing behavior and device used.

In order to do so, I want to track the impressions and clicks of the banners placed on the website. The question is: How can I implement such tracking with piwik?

To be more concrete, the data I am looking on an individual session level is:

• Device (mobile/ desktop)
  • Visit Time
  • Number of Session Page Views
  • Total Number of Visits
  • Time since Last Visit
    [b]- Number of Banner XYZ Exposure in Session
  • Number ob Banner XYZ clicks in Session
  • Total Number of XYZ Banner Exposures
  • Total Number ob Banner XYZ clicks in Session[/b]
  • Time of Day
  • Weekday
  • Source of traffic (organic / direct / social)
  • Total visit time (all sessions if returning visitor)
  • Total number of page views (all sessions if returning visitor)
  • Average visit time
  • Average time between site visits
  • Standard deviation of the time between site visits

Well that’s challenge number one… once I gathered that data over 3-4-weeks I need to export it from the database in a format I can use in SPSS (statistic program) in order to analyze it. Here I am tot sure either how this will work. Are there standard sql queries available for exporting the data the way I need it?

Sorry if these questions are kind of lame, the raw technical site is just not really my strength…

I am grateful for every hint or comment that can steer me in the right direction.

Best regards,
Toasty

Brief update: I managed to implement the awesome content tracking feature.

Only big question left is: How can I export all the variables I need for the analysis? I understand, that you can export single reports, but is there an universal export feature, where I can decide what data I want to export?

Hi there,

If you want to export the “Detailed user-by-user data”, you need to look at the Live API: Real Time Analytics - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Dear Toasty and other masters of Piwik!

@toasty , did you manage to export the data you needed and conduct the analysis?

I am in a very similar situation with my Master’s Thesis. I aim to track the website behavior on user-level of the users that came to the site via different types of traffic. These types are Owned, Earned and Paid and I would like to identify each of them separated by a similar tracking method as Google’s UTM tagging. Is this possible in Piwik?

Here are the most important variables that I would like to track on a user-level:

•Session/Visit time (Session duration)
•Number of page visits (Pages/session)
•Bounce Rate
•Participation to the competition (Goal conversion Y/N)
•Clicks on banner ads on the site
•New vs. returning user (if returning, how many prior visits? )

Many thanks in Advance,

Jesboux

Yes it’s possible with PIwik, use Custom Variables (or use our new Custom Dimensions plugin) and then use Segments to get the metrics for the particular Custom Variable / Custom Dimension value.