E_COMPILE_ERROR: Failed opening required 'shared.php'

Hi there,
It seems that my Wordpress site experienced an error when trying to upgrade the Matomo plugin on June 1st, 2022.
I first noticed there was a problem when trying to login to my dashboard and instead of the login screen it said: “There has been a critical error on this website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.”
So, I checked my inbox and I found an email that said Wordpress had found an error with the Matomo plugin. This is the error as stated in the email:

Error Details

An error of type E_COMPILE_ERROR was caused in line 210 of the file /home/u956836558/domains/modernprivatelife.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/matomo/matomo.php. Error message: require(): Failed opening required ‘shared.php’ (include_path=’.:/opt/alt/php74/usr/share/pear’)

I was able to login to my dashboard through the recovery mode. I deactivated the Matomo plugin and when I try to reactivate it I get the following error message:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error .
Warning : require(shared.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/u956836558/domains/modernprivatelife.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/matomo/matomo.php on line 210
Fatal error : require(): Failed opening required ‘shared.php’ (include_path=’.:/opt/alt/php74/usr/share/pear’) in /home/u956836558/domains/modernprivatelife.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/matomo/matomo.php on line 210

Could someone please help instruct me how to fix this without losing my data? I would try to uninstall and reinstall the plugin, but I am afraid I will lose my data. I saw in another post that there is a setting to not delete the data when uninstalling, but I can’t seem to access that setting without having the plugin activated in the first place.

Here are some details about my website:
WordPress version 6.0
Active theme: GeneratePress (version 3.1.3)
Current plugin: Matomo Analytics - Ethical Stats. Powerful Insights. (version 4.10.0)
PHP version 7.4.26

Other plugins I have activated on the site are: LiteSpeed Cache, Manage WP - Worker, Shortpixel Image Optimizer, Table of Contents Plus, The SEO Framework, and Wordfence Security.

I’m happy to provide more information, but if asking for log files/reports please give or link to some instructions on how to access those reports. I have some coding knowledge but I’m still a noob to php/database administration.

Thank you!
Eliza

Maybe @innocraft got any idea?

Hi @mpl

You have at least one missing file shared.php.
Please reinstall the plugin.
To ensure you won’t loose your data, please uncheck the checkbox “Delete all data on uninstall” from the menu Matomo Analytics > Settings > Advanced.
Kind regards

Mat