Download Action not working but Goals for same action do

Hi Forum,

I’m a total n00b on Piwik but I’ll try to be as specific as possible.

I have installed Piwik on my website and everything is working fine except for the Download Actions.

I have created Goals so that when a visitor downloads a .rar file a goal will be triggered notifying me of the download.

I tested the Goals for the .rar downloads and it’s working fine, I can see the sparkline and all that stuff.

However, under Dashboard > Actions > Downloads, it always shows “There is no data for this report.”

I know that downloads have occurred because the goal has been triggered and as far as the tracking documentation, it states that BY DEFAULT Piwik will track rar extension downloads.

Am I missing something? Is there something I must add to the java tracking code? What can I do to have data under Downloads to show up?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

How did you define your goal exactly?

Hi Matthieu,

The goal is created when the following happens:

Goal is triggered when a visitor downloads a file where the file name matches the regex (.*).rar

So while testing it, the goal is triggered just fine but again, under Dashboard > Actions > Downloads nothing is recorded.

And I tested the goals by using different computers (VM Machines) so it’s not like Piwik is not registering downloads from myself because of the cookie that tells it not to track my own visits.

What to do? :\

do you see the download file names in your piwik_log_action table? if yes, they are logged correctly.

I checked the table and all I see under "name is the link to my own website so no, I do not see the download names there.

Unless if the download names would be listed like that which if that’s the case, why aren’t the downloads showing up under actions?

I added your answer as a FAQ: Troubleshooting - Analytics Platform - Matomo - let me know if answer should be changed

Ok, I will look into that. Thank you very much for your help =)