Disable "Real Time" Reports

Hello,

I am new to the forums, and tried searching for more detail on this question, so I apologize if there is already a thread on this subject, or if I’m in the wrong spot. This post How to configure Piwik for speed - Analytics Platform - Matomo was very helpful, but the first suggestion is a little unclear. The instructions say “It is highly recommended to disable “real time” reports and only process reports for “today” every 1 or 6 hours for example.” but it doesn’t tell you how to do that. I haven’t found anything in settings to disable real time reports. Piwik is set up on its own server with no other processes running. We have several Drupal sites we would like to track, and we have installed the Piwik module on one of the smaller sites to evaluate it. The smaller site gets about 50k views a month, and is running great. However, today I tried turning on the module on our site which gets about 10 million views a month, and the average server load shot from 0.89 to 3.35. I watched the load for about 15 or 20 minutes, and it never really came back down. My guess is that it is tied to the “Real Time” reports.

My question is what is the process for disabling “Real Time” Reports?

Thank you

To disable real time report, check out this guide: How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo

it explains how to enable the crontab for archiving, and disable “browser trigger archiving”

Thank you so much for your reply, Matt.

Just a couple other questions based on what I read:
[ul]
[li] If I don’t set up a cron job, does Piwik still archive each day?
[/li][li] To clarify, do I set up the cron on my Piwik server, or on the server where the site I’m tracking is?
[/li][/ul]

Thank you

1. Yes
  2. setup cron on your piwik server

Also to disable the “Real-time” reports in Matomo such as “Visits Log” and “Visits in Real-time”, please see this FAQ: https://matomo.org/faq/how-to/how-do-i-disable-the-visits-log-or-the-visitor-profile-feature/