Differences between Matomo & agency results (tracking)

Hi,

We set up Matomo on one of our client’s website to be fully GDPR compliant. I guess all visitors are tracked through the first party cookie (but anonymized) even if they dont give their consent for cookies?

The client uses mtm tags to track his campaigns. For the last campaign he did, for a determined period, Matomo displays 15k visits, but the communication agency they work with send them a report with 118k clicks on this campaign.

How is it possible to get this difference? We have the same issue with a different client.

Can you confirm me all visitors are tracked via the first party cookie, even if the visitor refuses third party cookie?

Thank you

Hi,

I guess all visitors are tracked through the first party cookie (but anonymized) even if they dont give their consent for cookies?

We can’t assess that without looking at your implementation. That depends on your consent manager (if it loads the tracking code before consenting). Tracking can also be done without cookies at all, so it doesn’t rely on cookies (but then, you can’t recognize visitors cross session).

The client uses mtm tags to track his campaigns. For the last campaign he did, for a determined period, Matomo displays 15k visits, but the communication agency they work with send them a report with 118k clicks on this campaign.

There are a lot of possible explanations. Remotely, we can’t tell, what’s happening. Possible reasons:

• A lot of bot traffic (that matomo doesn’t count)
  • Incorrect campaign tagging
  • Slow loading of Tracking code (visitor bounces before being tracked)
  • Slow page loading time (visitor bounces before page gets even loaded)
  • Incorrect integration with the consent management
  • Other tracking / integration errors
  • “Phantasy” numbers by the publisher / agency, including automated queries, double clicks, monitoring, etc. They love to overreport clicks.

Can you confirm me all visitors are tracked via the first party cookie, even if the visitor refuses third party cookie?

That shouldn’t be an issue at all, because even without any cookie, visitors can be tracked.

1 Like

Thank you Peter!

That depends on your consent manager (if it loads the tracking code before consenting

How does the consent mode work by default? Before or after? I found the doc to set it up on Klaro but we won’t need to set it up if it loads before consenting by default.

That shouldn’t be an issue at all, because even without any cookie, visitors can be tracked.

You mean if a visitor has disabled all cookie he will still be tracked? Through the .js then?

Thank you very much

How does the consent mode work by default?

There is no default consent mode. A visitor is tracked by default, as soon, as the tracking code is loaded.
Only if a) the consent manager blocks the loading of the tracking code or b) the tracking code contains the call “require(Cookie)Consent” before “trackPageView”, tracking / setting of cookies is prohibited.

If you’re using the TagManager, you can configure these settings in the UI.

You mean if a visitor has disabled all cookie he will still be tracked? Through the .js then?

Yes. The cookie is not a tracking mechanism. It’s only there for visitor recognition and storing cross session / cross domain visitor ID info (and possibly other info).

1 Like

Hey Peter,

I’ve got a last question. Regarding your answer

Slow page loading time (visitor bounces before page gets even loaded)

Does that mean that if a visitor bounces before the entire page (then entry page) is loaded, he’s not tracked?

Can you also confirm me that if the user visits only one page, he’s tracked anyway (even if he visits only one page)?

Thank you so much

Hi Eric,

Correct - the tracking code has to be loaded and executed. If the user leaves before that, no tracking request will be triggered.

That should be the case, but that heavily depends on your implementation.

1 Like