Default File/Folder Permissions?

Hi there, I recently upgraded piwik to it’s current release and shortly after my softaculous script for some reason expired which caused piwik to stop working properly, anyway, at the time I wasn’t sure what was causing it and my web host who I resell from told me to set all folders to 777 and files to 644. Ever since then it has completely stopped working and I’m presented with the following:

(Do I need to star some of this information out?)

I’m not particularly proficient with this technology and I’m at a loss as to what to do. I don’t want to re-install piwik and lose all of my data.

I understand it to be an issue with the file/folder permissions but I can’t seem to find any information on what I should re-set these to. Any help would be much appreciated.

with your FTP chmod 777 the folder piwik/tmp/sessions and it should work again ?

I’ve actually managed to fix this, simply by upgrading the installation. No doubt upon doing this it re-set all of the permissions to what it needed to be. I’m just not going to touch it now :smiley:

Thanks for replying, I suppose it’s quite lucky that a new release has come out since it stopped working!

Well, I had assumed it would continue to work after it seemed to be fixed. Well it turns out it’s broken again, I haven’t even logged in let alone change any permissions or anything since it was working properly before.

It’s coming up with this again:

For example, on a Linux server if your Apache httpd user is www-data, you can try to execute:
chown -R www-data:www-data /home/ladesign/public_html/ladesigns.co.uk/piwik/tmp/sessions/
chmod -R 0755 /home/ladesign/public_html/ladesigns.co.uk/piwik/tmp/sessions/

Is the only fix to set everything to 777? I changed the file and folder permissions to 777 for the tmp/sessions directory but it still doesn’t work :frowning:

Did you change the owner of the files to be your webserver username ?

I didn’t change the file ownership, no, I’m not even entirely sure how to do that… :frowning:

It was working, then it wasn’t. How would I go about findinout out what my webserver username is (linux/cpanel) and whether it matches the file ownership?